Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sgodea Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2010, 02:11 PM
    Hit by drunk driver
    I was hit by a drunk driver in January 2009 and it was not his vehicle. The person who owned the vehicle had insurance and I'm still fighting that one on personal injury. Can I file a civil suit on the driver for the extra cost of having to purchase a new vehicle? Mine was paid off and totalled at the time of the accident.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2010, 02:17 PM

I'm somewhat confused - what State are you in?

Didn't the auto insurance for the owner pay the blue book value of your car?

If you were injured have you retained a personal injury Attorney?

I don't know if you are "fighting" over medical bills or pain and suffering.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 22, 2010, 02:23 PM

It was paid off by the other party's insurance? No, I suppose not; you are still in litigation with them. You must have been paid off by your own insurance, I guess.

Your lawsuit should have included all losses sustained in the accident, including the damage to your vehicle. It may be too late to amend your complaint, but you can ask your attorney.

Sep 22, 2010, 02:24 PM
    The state is Texas. Yes, the insurance company gave me blue book, but since I could not afford a $400 monthly note, I had to use my IRA account money to purchase a new vehicle. I have an attorney for the personal injury, but it looks like the only thing we are getting out of that so far, is medical bills paid. I received an permanent indention to my left leg that is very noticeable. But I had to put out $15,000 for a new vehicle (out of my pocket) and I'm told that I won't be able to get that back, it just doesn't seem right that the drunk driver only got 15 days in jail and doesn't have to pay for my vehicle.
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2010, 02:28 PM

The criminal aspect (how much jail time the other driver received) and the civil part (your damages) are, unfortunately, unrelated.

Your Attorney should also be addressing the cost of replacing your car BUT insurance makes you whole - you should walk out of this exactly as you went into this. For example, if you were driving a 2002 Ford at the time of the accident you can't then purchase a 2010 MB and expect the other driver to pay for it.

Details - ?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 22, 2010, 02:29 PM

If the car was totaled, by definition you got reimbursed what the car was worth. You, in effect, upgraded to a better, newer car. So the driver could probaby be successful in claiming that you are not damaged in terms of car value.

Sep 23, 2010, 04:35 AM
    Thank you to all that responded. I appreciate the assistance in understanding this matter. I do have another question though, my insurance company paid for the medical, my vehicle being totalled and my 6 weeks off work, does the total of all this combined with my personal injury suit, total what the liability insurance covers? Or is the personal injury separate?
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2010, 07:34 AM

In NY - and I'm sure Texas - personal injury is separate. It's a different part of the insurance coverage, at least in NY.

I realize that is not very helpful to you. Ask your Attorney (but I'm pretty sure I'm right).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Personal Injury Lawyer Worth It If Hit By Drunk Driver-Her Ins Accepted Liability? [ 12 Answers ]

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS! I have been researching literally all day and trying to determine if getting a personal injury lawyer is actually worth the fees or not and I'm still not sure and getting more and more frustrated and desperate! (I also still need to go to a doctor somewhere asap...

Insurance Co. Not Paying-driver w/o license was hit [ 2 Answers ]

In Texas, if you were driving without a license and were struck by another car and that car was considered "at fault' could an insurance company refuse to pay a claim because of this?

Insurance coverage when a drink driver hit me [ 1 Answers ]

I was trying to get out from a parking lot turning right on to the main road when, a drink driver hit a car while it was turning into where I was coming from. That car came head on into my car. I have a one way insurance and I am in Michigan and Michigan is no fault state, and I don't have collison...

Hit by an uninsured driver in Illinois [ 3 Answers ]

I was recently hit by an uninsured driver with an expired license. There were no injuries, however, the damage to my car is great. The driver has admitted fault, and a police report was filed, however, the accident occurred on private property, so no tickets were given. If the driver is unable to,...

Drunk driver [ 1 Answers ]

A policeman pulls over a driver for swerving in and out of lanes on the highway. He tells the guy to blow a breath into a breathalyzer. ''I can't do that, officer.'' ''Why not?'' ''Because I'm an asthmatic. I could get an asthma attack if I blow into that tube.'' ''Okay, we'll just...

View more questions Search