Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RAGDOG007 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2010, 12:07 PM
    How do you set the timing on a 40 hp Mercury outboard
    While driving the boat to the launch, it started, ran fine until almost there. Then the overheat alarm went off and the engine quit. There was water coming out of the port so I think the water pump is OK. It won't crank over until it' cooled down. Now it cranks over but won't start. Checked the fuel supply, fuel filter and plugs. Put new plugs in and checked that I'm getting spark to both. OK there. I've got fuel, air and spark. The only thing I can think of is the timing went off for some reason. Every once in a while it will pop like its trying to start but it only pops once, then I'll keep cranking it and it will pop again but never start. I can see two different timing references on the motor but don't know where to go from there.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2010, 12:42 PM

Check your Water Seperator is not saturated with water, I would even drain the float bowl(s), and look for the pressence of water.
    Try a different fuel supply. (portable tank).
    Timing, usually doesn't usually go out.
    If you like this Motor, I would invest in the Service Manual.
    Good Luck
    RAGDOG007 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2010, 04:42 PM
    You must be thinking of another motor as this one has portable tanks. It's a 2-cyl. 40 hp Mercury outboard motor used on a pontoon. It only has one carb and there isn't a water separator on it. I did changed the gas-oil mix fuel and drained the carb bowl with the same results. It will spit once in a great while when I'm cranking it over but that's it.

Do you have any info on how to at least check the timing? If I don't have the tools, I have access to them.

Thanks
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2010, 04:49 PM

Some small boats also have internal tanks.
    I can't help with the timing.
    I would add a Fuel Seperator.
    After you drained carbs, and got a fresh tank of fuel, Did you pump the bulb to flush the lines, before attaching line back to Carb?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mercury 50hp 2-stroke outboard is overheating [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2000 Mercury 50horsepower 2-stroke outboard engine. I have replaced the thermostat and water pump. The engine quickly overheats. Some water does come out the outlet tube, but not as much as used to when it was new. I need to know what else to check to diagnose this problem. Any suggestions...

Mercury outboard 4 stoke [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Mercury 115 4 stroke fuel injected outboard that won't fire. Checked spark plugs - getting spark. Checked fuel lines, no leaking, bulb is hard. Spayed ether and engine fires but cuts off. Checked fuel to fuel pump and check all fuses. Boat ran great 2 weeks ago and I started in my...

How can you ddifferntiate between a Mercury 2-stroke and 4-stroke outboard 5 horse? [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently acquired a 5 horse mercury freshwater, outboard, transum hung engine. What Im not sure of is do I mix the gas with oil or not. Thanks

1984 Mercury Outboard 4 Cylinder 50HP problem [ 0 Answers ]

Ok,the motor idles good but when you try to get to full throttle the boat is hard to come out of the water and will not plane off like it used to. It seems like it will not hit full rpm's. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

View more questions Search