Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlk071259 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2010, 09:00 AM
    The doctors office is not going to give me a copy of my mri report
    I do not want to follow up with the orthopaedic Dr that ordered the mri. I want to go to my former orthopaedic Dr that practices in Franklin Tenn. The Dr's office will not release to me the report. They will in fact only fax the report to the physician in Franklin.(with the signed release) from what they tell me at the Drs office in Franklin, I have the right to any and all my records, and what they are doing to me is against the law. Therefore I am very unhappy at not being able to get my records from this Dr,
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2010, 09:48 AM

It is foolish to post the Doctor's name and it is also unnecessary.

Write a letter, receipt requested, DEMANDING a copy of your medical records. Expect to pay a per page charge.

Or take the easier way - have the second Doctor fax the reports to the first Doctor and then the first Doctor can copy and give them to you.

Here is what HIPAA says:

"2. Do I have a right to my medical records?

Yes. The HIPAA medical privacy law gives you the right to see and get copies of your own medical records. There are a few exceptions. For example, HIPAA does not give you the right to access psychotherapy notes or information compiled for use in litigation. Your request may also be denied if the provider decides access to the records could result in harm to you or another person.

In addition to HIPAA, many states have laws that allow patients or their designated representatives access medical records. State laws may give you more, but not less, privacy than HIPAA." Privacy Rights Clearinghouse | Empowering Consumers. Protecting Privacy.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 22, 2010, 09:50 AM

Doctors name and location have been edited out.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2010, 03:17 PM
    [QUOTE=dlk071259 disagrees : I did not mean to post the drs name, just thought this was a private question, therefore the way it was answered was mean, but i appreciate the help, i guess. i will not use this website again.
    [/QUOTE]

What do you mean you thought it was a private question. Who did you think was going to read it? One person?

You posted the Doctor's name by accident?

I could have given you a "disagree," which is what you gave me because of that "mistake." Instead I attempted to explain things to you. Apparently that didn't work so a MODERATOR (a person in charge) came along and changed your post. I find no meanness in telling you that you are not following AMHD rules.

For your information you can be sued for posting information which is not true - I attempted to keep that from happening. Apparently you'd rather be the recipient of a lawsuit.

If you read the AMHD rules you will see that agree and disagreed are used ONLY when the advice is incorrect - not for matters of opinion. My advice was spot on!

I do find bad attitude - yours.
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Sep 22, 2010, 08:32 PM

You can also go to the place that did the mri, and request a copy. At least you can here in Indiana!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Agency won't give a copy of credit report [ 0 Answers ]

Recently submitted an application & $50 credit check through an apartment finding agency and was devied, am I entitled to a copy of that report?

Landlord won't give a copy of credit report [ 6 Answers ]

I just found a job in California after I graduated as a Canadian citizen from University of Toronto. I was looking around for a 1 bedroom apartment to rent. I submitted a rental application to an apartment management agent. I don't have SSN yet since I hasn't live in US for more than 10 days after...

Landlord won't give me a copy of my lease ! [ 7 Answers ]

I rented a large 3 bedroom 1/2 house in Newburyport, Massachusetts back in May 15, 2008. I signed a 6 month lease with the landlord and then she told me that she had to make a copy for me and would have it for me the following day. I started moving my things in that day. I have now been here...

Landlord Refusing to Give us Copy of Lease [ 5 Answers ]

I'm going to live in a house in New Brunswick, NJ with a couple of other people and we all signed the lease. Some of us paid for our security deposit and rent already, but some of the others us didn't. The landlord is refusing to give us a copy of the lease until more of us pay, although we're...

View more questions Search