Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 23, 2010, 09:06 AM

I find the woman to be selfish.

my gf says that my daughter is my only concern when she is around and that i make extra effort with my daughter and not her ,
    That is childish. He sees this woman every day.
    Yes he should talk to his girl friend, let her express her feelings. But ultimately she has to decide if she wants to be with a man who puts his young child first.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2010, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Homegirl 50 View Post
    I find the woman to be selfish.

my gf says that my daughter is my only concern when she is around and that i make extra effort with my daughter and not her ,
    That is childish. He sees this woman every day.
    Yes he should talk to his girl friend, let her express her feelings. But ultimately she has to decide if she wants to be with a man who puts his young child first.

And I find no fault with a woman who decides she wants a man's undivided attention and does not want to share him with children if she realizes that, says so from the beginning and then moves on before the children are adversely affected.

Maybe it's being selfish or childish, maybe she is just being totally honest. Some people don't want to raise children, their own or someone else's.

I think the girlfriend and OP have to look at the situation and decide where to go from here.

I think we're all on the same page here.
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2010, 10:08 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    Umm.. how do you get out of the box that limits your response to 250 words?:) syntax and style? Barrelling her up against the wall and calling her a spoilt brat could actually work for its dramatic effect-talking quietly to resolve issues is an option
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2010, 10:08 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    I meant characters!!
    burnt_sienna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2013, 10:21 AM
    Someone said:

"What your girlfriend needs to realize is that your daughter is your first priority, and always will be. The girlfriend comes second. That's the way it should be, and if she can't realize that, she may not be the one for you."

Ok... assuming you love your girlfriend, and are planning to make her your wife and live with her for the rest of your life, both she and your daughter are equally important to you. Your daughter should be given everything a father could possibly give and your GF/life-partner should be given everything a life partner could possibly give. That said, BOTH ARE PRIORITIES. Do not label one "number one" and the other "number two". That just sets you up for disaster. Both are people you love, and both should receive all the love you can give.

The girl friend DOES NOT come second. If you do that, then the relationship won't last.

Too often people mock the GF (in this situation) calling her immature and selfish, when really it's a difficult situation to be in, and actually takes a lot of courage and getting used to.

My advice to you is to talk to your girlfriend and try to appeal to her better side.

If she really hated your daughter, she wouldn't be around. The fact that she's around means she hasn't gotten to the point where she has fully accepted it. She's trying to get there... and she's probably putting a lot of effort into it. Maybe you should help her get there. She's failing at it, but she must be trying. Why else would she stick around?

She must feel you're worth it. And if she feels that way, then maybe she's worth it too.

Good luck with your situation.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is 8 months old but for some reason he has been going in my step daughters roo [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is 8 months old and for some reason he has went into my step daughters room and has pooped, we don't know why he is doing this. Last year when she came to live with us we had a cat that for some reason was pooping and peeing on on her stuff and her bed. We are trying to figure out if maybe...

Adopting my step daughters [ 7 Answers ]

I want to adopt my 2 stepdaughters. Their dad is in prison, hasn't paid child support for years. The little bit when he calls about once a month he just causes trouble for them and confuses them. What can we do to adopt the girls while he is in prison.

Can I Adopt my Step-Daughters [ 4 Answers ]

I never adopted my step-daughters even though I raised them Can I adopt them now even though they are adults as I fear a Legal problem with my family if I should die and I want my 2 Girls to have what I have got

View more questions Search