Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anupat3l Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 10:26 PM
    Keeps Sleeping and Not Eating
    Hi we have just bought a daschund 3 days ago from a pet store and it has been very playful until 4PM today.. it will wake up and then go back to sleep.. it sleeps in a bed that's sitting in a crate and theirs a area for food and water.. it normally eats and pees after it wakes up but it just keeps sleeping.. also we try to feed it food through our hand but it falls asleep when its been laid down or it spits out food with its toung.. its only a 4 week old daschund puppy..
    mscassandra Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Dec 28, 2006, 11:42 PM
    I had the same problem when I got my puppy, and I just had to wait it out a few more days till it felt more at home. Its like a baby too though so it will spend most its time sleeping. When it is hungry it will get up and eat but sometimes pet shops take the puppies away from the mother too early which causes problems when you take it home. Just wait a few days, if its still not eating take it to the vet. But its eating a little and enough to live and just sleeping a lot then id give it a few weeks then take it to the vet if it doesn't get any better.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2006, 07:29 AM
    Watch it very carefully. If it develops diarrhea in addition to the lethargy, it may have parvo, and you will be lucky to save it. It will need immediate vet care even over New Year's.

I would plan to take it to the vet next week along with any medical records. A pet store that would sell 4 week old puppies would lie about what it may need in shots too. It is highly unethical to sell such young puppies.

This will be a difficult puppy. It should still be with its mother and litter learning to be a dog. Read the stickies at the top of the dog forum. There is some very good material there, and you will need all the help you can get.
    anupat3l Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2006, 12:55 PM
    Its not acting normal.. thanks for all help.. @ about 1 AM in the morning the same it it ate and pooped 2 times through all the night.. it also ate all its food and is more active today like it was before.. thanks for help though
    gvellianitis Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2006, 01:09 PM
    First of all, a puppy that's only 4 weeks old is way too young to be taken away from it's mother, and should still be nursing from the mother. You need to get that puppy to a vet right away and have the poor baby checked out. Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Since all the lawyers are sleeping [ 7 Answers ]

My original question was not getting any play. So instead I will just say Hello,I am new to this sight and it seems a very comfortable and interesting place to visit. Hope to be of some help and maybe get some in return.speak to you all soon.Steve G:

Do I have a sleeping disorder? [ 21 Answers ]

Im am so tired these days. Im having problems sleeping at night no matter how tired I am. It doesn't happen every night but at least twice a week. I have to be up Mon - Fri at 7.30am, and some days at work I still feel asleep. I don't believe I have anything on my mind keeping me up, but I...

Restless sleeping/breaking the habit of sleeping on the bed [ 2 Answers ]

Our little shih tzu (8 months old) started well, but more recently has taken to sleeping under or on our bed. We took the path of least resistance and let him get away with it, but his constant licking, nibbling, flicking his ears around and general sleep noise is driving us nuts. Any tips for...

Dog not sleeping [ 3 Answers ]

I Have A Year And A Half Old Rottweiler Named Sonny , Problem... He Is Not Sleeping Soundly. He Sleeps With Me In My Bed. I Am A Guy Named Joe, I Want My Doggie To Stop Tossing And Turning And Then I Want Him To Get Some Rest , I Am Tired Like Mad From This Problem . If I Lock Him Out Of My Room He...

My dog is not eating and is sleeping all the time [ 2 Answers ]

My Staffordshire terrior is not eating. It all started when I leave my dog outside.Shes a house Dog I'm usually with at all times.I started leaving her outside for the past two weeks,from around 2:00 pm to 7:00pm.The first week she started to eat and drink small amounts of what I leave her out...

View more questions Search