Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alilhayden Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2010, 07:56 PM
    What do you have to do to a Hardrive before installing an OS?

What must be done first before an operating system can be installed onto a hard drive?
    A mate told me its either
    The operating system must be tested
    Or
    The system must be given additional power

If you know otherwise please tell me
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Sep 22, 2010, 12:07 PM

This sounds like it is a test question - a very bad test question. Both could conceivably be done depending on the circumstances necessitating an operating system install. For instance, if a new operating system was being installed on older hardware with legacy applications in a production environment such as a server farm, it would most likely be tested first on a guinea-pig server to see what it breaks before rolling it out across the whole farm. Alternatively, if the drive was being added to a mini-ITX low power fat client for a dual-boot setup, the system's power budget should probably be checked and the power supply upgraded if needed. Eh, of the two, testing is probably more "right".

Typically in the real world, I...
    1. Backup any manufacturer utilities that I wish to retain that came installed on the drive.
    2. Physically install the drive into the computer connecting it to a storage controller with proper cabling and configuring any jumpers on the drive.
    3. Wipe the drive with DBAN or another utility.
    4. Install the operating system, partitioning and formatting the drive with a scheme appropriate for its application.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Undiscoverable hardrive [ 1 Answers ]

My computer does not recognise my removable hard drive? Please can anyone help?

How to get my old files from my old hardrive [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I've installed a new windows xp professional on a new hardrive as my old hardrive couldn't stratup windows(XP Pro) anymore.So my old hardrive still has all my documents under my old user name which has password and the password was not removed from my old user account as my old...

Is hardrive DEAD [ 2 Answers ]

Hi hope someone can help. Have recently had to format daughters hardrive due to lots of problems with viuruses and trojans ( despite warning her of what was out there :rolleyes: ). I managed to format OK, then tried to re-install windows. It got so far then there was a problem with the disk so had...

Hardrive locked [ 2 Answers ]

My hard drive is locked and I forgot my password

Hardrive not being recognised [ 2 Answers ]

I have a hardrive that worked on all the computers in my house and I used it on the computer downstairs moved some files then took it upstairs to watch a film and the computer didn't recognise it well it came up with a little bubble saying windows does not recognise this usb device one or more of...

View more questions Search