Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    track55 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2010, 05:24 PM
    What's the proper beam size to replace a 15' 2x4 load bearing wall?
    "I'm remodeling an apartment that was once a 2 story garage with a gambrel roof (barn style), with a 10ft wide dormer on one side of the roof. It was originally converted to an apartment back in the fifties. The upstairs is one large bedroom. with 4ft knee walls supporting the roof rafters. The entire structure sits on a cement slab. The exterior dimensions are a standard 24'x 24' footprint. I'd like to remove (what I believe), is a load bearing wall running down the middle separating the living-room and kitchen. The wall is just over 15' long, it is made out of true 2x4 with a 4x4 top and bottom plate. One end of the beam would be support by jacks that would be part of the exterior wall on one do the gable ends, the other jack would be 15' in from the exterior wall. Does anyone know what size beam would be needed to span the 15' and properly carry the load?"
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 21, 2010, 05:32 PM

If it was once a two car garage then maybe this was not a load bearing wall. Are there rafts or joist running side to side that stop at this wall and rest on top of it? You will likely need a structural engineer or architect to calculate the load, if there is one. Will you need a permit?
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Sep 22, 2010, 03:58 PM
    Did you want to spec out metal or wood ?

Sep 23, 2010, 04:39 PM
    Comment on mtconc's post
    not sure if my first response went through... I would prefer a wood solution. I was thinking that a triple 2x6 or 8 would be sufficient.

Sep 23, 2010, 04:49 PM

Track, skip using the comment box and type reply in the area marked ANSWER THIS QUESTION

Sep 23, 2010, 06:10 PM
    ballengerb1... It looks like the joists run the entire width of the house, continuous 24' joists, and the wall I want to remove is almost directly in the middle with the joists resting on top... the joists are not side to side. I will most likely need a permit. Also, the joist are "true" 2x8, not dimensional lumber like in today's market

Sep 24, 2010, 09:03 AM

I am confused by this "the joists are not side to side." What did you mean. If you need a permit then you will need to meet the city spec so ask the building inspector to inspect. Doesn't sound like a load bearing wall to me so far. However, in my area a 2 x 8 joist would not allow you to use the second story as a living space.

Sep 24, 2010, 01:49 PM
    My bad, I mis-read your statement that said "side to side"... I thought you were referring to shorter joists overlapping one another, as in they were side-by-side... no worries. I'm having a structural engineer taking a look to see what I need, if anything. Thanks for you help just the same.

Sep 24, 2010, 03:04 PM

Good idea, he should know

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What size beam do I need to replace 16' of a 2x4 wall? [ 9 Answers ]

I'm going to remove 16 foot of 2x4 wall and replace it with a beam in the attic. The wall is 16" on center. The roof joists are 2x6 and are perpendicular to the wall. The attic is all joists (no trusss). I want to place the beam in the attic on top of the roof joists and use joist hangers to...

Beam size to replace load-bearing wall [ 13 Answers ]

Okay, I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trouble to open up a room in my basement. It is currently a 16 ft wide wall with a single doorway in it. It is a load-bearing wall. I'd like to open up the doorway to about 10'6" width. The wall supports the floor above, and there is another...

Proper sizing a beam to replace a load bearing wall [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking to remove 15' of wall between my living room and kitchen. It's the center bearing wall of a two story colonial. On the second floor are bedrooms. The existing floor joists are 2x8's 16" on center. Normal snow load, gable roof bearing on outside walls. Basically I'm supporting the floor...

Sizing a beam to replace load bearing wall. [ 3 Answers ]

I am planning on removing 15' of a 2x6 load bearing wall in my basement and want to confirm the sizing of the steel beam. I had an engineer have a look, but the only engineer available is a semi-retired fellow who sized the beam in exchange for having a couple of beers with him in the process. ...

View more questions Search