Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shaver1340 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2010, 11:31 AM
    Shower leaking through ceiling below
    We have a rainshower head as well as a handheld shower attachment in the bathroom. Yesterday after cleaning, the diverter valve of the shower was inadvertently left partially open. When my husband had a shower later, he immediately noticed the pressure from the rainshower head was less that usual but did not realize why. We then noticed water dripping from the ceiling below the shower. It was not a lot and stopped after a few minutes. Today we opened the valve fully, tested the shower and all seemed fine (no leaking below). Could it be this simple or shall we expect further problems?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 21, 2010, 01:11 PM

Expect future problems. Something is leaking but only under certain circumstances. Over the next few days, weeks you may notice what's happening in the home when the dripping starts again. I would remove the handle and escutcheon plate now and reinstall the handle. If you see a leak downstairs check with a flashlight to see if you can see the mixing valve leaking. I suspect the diverter valve. Some valves are water tight fully open or fully closed but can weep when partially closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower leaking through ceiling [ 8 Answers ]

Help, my shower is leaking through downstairs ceiling. Had a plumber make a hole in the ceiling above the shower and no pipes seem to be leaking. Did a tile check to make sure tiles were not leaking by covering with tape. No leak but as soon as the tape was pulled off the drain it started dripping...

Shower leaking from ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

I took a shower this morning and came downstairs and there was water on the dining room table. The floor in the bathroom is completely dry and the ceiling above the dining room table is completely dry. However, it looks like there is a weak spot in the ceiling (and possible tiny crack) above the...

Leaking shower into the ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

Just bought our first house! Our ceiling paint began to peel in the kitchen right where the shower is upstairs. Where some of the paint peeled, I noticed black spots that appear to be mold. The shower is all tile and pretty old. Where do I even begin to fix this? My husband loves to do...

Ceiling leaking from shower [ 3 Answers ]

Our shower is leaking through the ceiling in the shape of the shower cube. I can only presume it's the sealant but it locks a strong seal around most of it. Is it just a case of re- sealing?

Shower leaking through to ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I live in a 2 story townhouse with the shower upstairs. A few days ago I replaced the Moen shower control handle (single) and splashplate behind it, and also the tub spout that has a diverter for the shower. All for cosmetic reasons only. There was a gap between the control handle...

View more questions Search