Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    western50 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2010, 09:42 AM
    projectile motion
    A cart moves with velocity vC = 10 m/s in the horizontal direction as shown below.

https://online-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cg...04/01/cart.gif

A ball is ejected from the cart with an initial velocity vB with respect to the cart such that an observer on the ground sees the ball move directly vertical. The ball reaches its maximum height at a time t = 2 s after it is launched. The next two questions pertain to this situation.

The angle θ (as measured by someone on the cart) is greater than 90 degree.

how can I get the angle measured?

What is vB, the magnitude of the initial velocity of the ball with respect to the cart?

vB = 10 m/s
    vB = 18 m/s
    vB = 22 m/s
    vB = 26 m/s
    vB = 30 m/s
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 21, 2010, 10:18 AM

In order for the ball to go straight up relative to the ground it must have been given a backwards horizintal component relative to the cart of vC. So V_h = horizintal velocity relative to cart = -vC. Since its maximum altitude is reached in 2 seconds, its initial upward velocity can be found from:
    v = u + at
    where u is the initial upward velocity. So at its maximum height you have:
    0 = u -gt
    Solve for u. Then the initial velocity of the ball relative to the car can be found by applying Pythagorian Theorem to the initial horizontal and verical velocity components to get the magnitude of vB. The value of θ is determined from Arctan(V_h/u).

Sep 21, 2010, 10:34 AM
    Hi, I wonder what is V_h/u

Sep 21, 2010, 10:39 AM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    I just wonder that why the horizontal velocity relative to cart is -vC not +vC?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 21, 2010, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by western50 View Post
    Hi, I wonder what is V_h/u
    V_h = horizontal velocity = -vC. It is a negative number because the ball must be thrown backwards out of the cart.

u = initial vertical velocity.

Sep 22, 2010, 08:20 PM

What will be the difference between the angle 0, measured by someone on the cart and measured by someone on the ground?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2010, 03:04 AM

Try to visualise the situation. If you were on the cart, you'll see the projectile going behind you, right?

But if you were on the ground, you said that an observer sees the projectile as going directly upwards. Hence, theta will here by 90 degrees.

Is that okay?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Projectile motion [ 3 Answers ]

An arrow is shot into the air at an angle of 60.6 above the horizontal with a speed of 21.4 m/s. (a) What are the x and y components of the velocity of the arrow 3 s after it leaves the bowstring? (b) What are the x and y components of the displacement of the arrow during the 3 s interval?

Projectile motion [ 3 Answers ]

HI I am having problems understanding this question, if someone could help me as soon as possible, it will be much appreciated. A stunt man drives a car at a speed on 20 m/s off a 30 m high cliff. The road Leading to the cliff is inclined up ward at an angle of 20°. (I) How far from the base...

Projectile motion [ 1 Answers ]

I need help trying to help one of my high school kids answer a projectile motion problem. A bride throws a bouqet from a balcony 20 meters from the ground at an angle of 37 degrees above the horizontal with an initial speed of 10 m/s. The bouqet overshoots the crowd below and lands on the...

Projectile motion [ 2 Answers ]

In the absence of air resistance, why does the horizontal component of velocity for a projectile remain constant while the vertical component changes? How does the downward component of the motion of a projectile compare with the motion of free fall??

View more questions Search