Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marcus_R Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 07:58 PM
    Networking Problem
    Hi,

We have recently tried to create a network between to computer running windows XP. The computers are in different rooms. On one we have install a D-Link Express EtherNetwork LAN PCI Card. (DFE-528TX) [CMP 1] and on the other a TP-LINK Fast Ethernet Adapter (TF-3239D / TF-3239DL / TF-5239) [CMP 2].

At first we followed the instucrtions supplied by the Network Setup Wizard, and the computers connected effectively and we were able to share our dial-up internet connection as well, which is what we wanted. CMP 1 connected directly through the internet and CMP 2 connected through the internet through CMP 1.

Now we disconnected the network as we turned the computer off for the night. Then in the morning when we tried to connect the computer without the dial-up connect it wouldn't work, thus we restarted the Network Setup Wizard and tried to configure a network in which the computers had no internet connection, in an attempt to connect the computer without having to be connected to the internet.

Now the whole network think has really stuffed up and I think its safe to say we have just played around with it too much. Opps.

So NOW we retried the Network Setup Wizard to see if we could again use the option of setting up CMP 1 as a internet gateway. Well this time the Network Setup Wizard does not seem to find the internet connection on CMP 1 and automatically chooses option number two in screen three of the Network Setup Wizard. (This computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network). When we try to manually changed the option and click next the Network Setup Wizard freezes!

SO.. we tried a work around and tried to manually configure CMP 1 as an internet connection sharing server. Right clicked the diap-up connection and allowed other computer on the network to access and changed it. We successfully allowed the connection to be shared.

So we connected the computer and it seems that all is well and that it is connected. But I cannot share my files, and I cannot share my internet connection. Though the strangest thing is that both computers say that the network is effectively connected.

Ugh, what do I do? Its just NOT working! It would be great if you could help with the Network Setup Wizard freeze thing, I think that could do it? But I really have no idea.
    tojodawson Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2006, 04:49 PM
    Are you connecting the 2 computers via Cat 5 cable and then to the dialup internet connection?
    YOu can try removing all aspects of the network by going to connections and deleting all mention to the network you can also remove th NICs from device manager and let Windows find them as plug and play this will reset all the drivers and setting back to default that should clear up the network setup wiazard. The issue with filesharing is you need to make sure you have the client for Microsoft networks and make bot computers a membner of the same workgroup. Then install the client for file sharing.
    master_of_none Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2006, 06:24 PM
    Also, how are you connecting the two computers?
    Are they connected through a hub or router? Or are they connected directly to each other?

Also you want to check to ensure the users that log on to the computers are Administrators on both computers.
    LethPhaos Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2007, 12:37 PM
    If the 2 computers are connected directly to each-other? If so, are you using a crossover cable instead of a straight? Or do the 2 pc's have a NIC that supports straight cables for pc-pc networking? Because some recent models do...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problem networking printer [ 7 Answers ]

I just added a new laptop to my home network. It's a Dell Latitude running windows XP pro. I had successfully been using another (IBM running Windows 98) and had it all networked fine, but I cannot get the printer to work with this one. I have tried setting it up tried to install the proper...

Networking [ 5 Answers ]

I have alaptop connected to my desktop with a ethernet cable. The destop can access files from the laptop but no traffic the other way. I have now connected the laptop to another desktop and it works fine both ways. I have tried lots of things like taking off all firewalls, permisions etc. The...

Networking [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Kindly tell about networking, I want to connect sevens PCS with anothers through IPs. One of them is server with windows 2000 family server, switch and remaining six are clients.

Winme and winxp networking problem [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I got (a)winme PC and (b)winxp sp2 PC running a workgroup networking, The question is why I cannot access the file shared on winme fom the winxp PC. I can ping from winme PC to winxp PC but I cannot ping the winxp PC to winme PC. Both the PC can access internet through the same router...

View more questions Search