Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kscher Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2010, 08:38 PM
    What causes yellowing cabinets
    Recently had 17 year old kitchen cabinets cleaned and stained and in one year they are turning yellow. Heavy smoker lived in home. Is that the reason? How to fix?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 20, 2010, 08:41 PM

What sort of wood are they? What sort of stain was used? Did they seal it after staining?

It could be the smoking, or it could be one of the above.

Need more info. :)

Sep 20, 2010, 08:52 PM

Not sure of wood, or stain -yes sealed. Light color. My painter now saying caused by nicotine. Bath cabs also showing some yellow. Says he will now have to sand prime and paint
    Pets Expert

Sep 20, 2010, 08:57 PM

It could be the product he used to seal it, especially if there's lots of natural light in your kitchen and bathroom.

Sadly nicotine does yellowing. You'd be amazed. My mother in law always had wallpaper in her kitchen. She put plastic rails around so the kitchen chairs wouldn't damage it. A year after putting up new wallpaper she decided she didn't like it. When we took the plastic rails off I was shocked. If I hadn't seen the original color of the wallpaper under the rails, I never would have noticed the yellowing. She smoked 2 packs a day.

He can paint, but I fear you'll just end up with the same problem in another year.

The only way to prevent it is to ask the smoker to move it outside.

Sep 20, 2010, 08:58 PM

Not sure of wood, or stain -yes sealed. Light color. My painter now saying caused by nicotine. Bath cabs also showing some yellow. Says he will now have to sand prime and paint

Sep 20, 2010, 09:03 PM

The smoker is out over a year and entire interior painted after using Kilz on walls and wood shutters which seem to be OK. Not a light expusure problem.
    Pets Expert

Sep 20, 2010, 09:09 PM

So this issue happened even though the smoker isn't there, wasn't there when the cabinets where sanded and stained?

If that's the case than I'd say it's a problem with the sealer or the stain.

I can't be certain though.

Is there any way for you to find out the brand name of the stain used, and the sealer?

Sep 20, 2010, 09:09 PM

The smoker is out over a year and entire interior painted after using Kilz on walls and wood shutters which seem to be OK. Not a light expusure problem.

Sep 20, 2010, 09:15 PM

Correct - smoker had left -will try to find answers to questions. Thanks for your response. I like our painter- just trying to determine if he was at fault.
    Pets Expert

Sep 20, 2010, 09:21 PM

He may well be.

It could be that he used old sealer, or that he used water based stain with an oil based sealer, or vice versa. Oil and water don't mix and can cause yellowing.

Is he willing to re-sand and paint for free, or is he charging you?

If he's charging I'd wait to find out for sure that it's not the products he used that caused this.

I wish I could be more help, but without knowing the products he used, I can only guess.

Sep 20, 2010, 09:24 PM

Correct - smoker had left -will try to find answers to questions. Thanks for your response. I like our painter- just trying to determine if he was at fault.

Sep 20, 2010, 09:27 PM

Yes he wants to charge to re do all cabs . He is a pro and been around for long time and we like work he did on interior and exterior but I will try to get answers.

Sep 20, 2010, 09:28 PM

Yes he wants to charge to re do all cabs . He is a pro and been around for long time and we like work he did on interior and exterior but I will try to get answers.
    Pets Expert

Sep 20, 2010, 09:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kscher View Post
    yes he wants to charge to re do all cabs . He is a pro and been around for long time and we like work he did on interior and exterior but i will try to get answers.
    When you do just post it here and I'll see what I can find out. :)

I'm not a professional painter, but I do build my own furniture and work with wood, stain and sealer a lot.

I'm sure he's a professional, I just can't see any way that the yellowing was caused by smoking if the smoker was gone before you had this done and you used Kilz on the rest of the house. It shouldn't happen, so if it's not the smoking it has to be the products used.

Again, this is just a guess, but I'll be able to give you better advice when you find out the products used. :)

Sep 21, 2010, 03:47 PM
    Checked and both stain and sealer oil based.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Sep 27, 2010, 03:22 PM

If an oil-based poly was used to seal the cabinets then that is your culprit. Oil based poly yellows with sunlight. Nicotine stains can be cleaned.

Sep 27, 2010, 03:35 PM
    Thanks for response- kitchen does not get much sun. Also notice yellowing in bath vanity cabinets that werer done same way. But not as bad as kitchen.
    My painter says cabinets are on cheap side an and the nicotine permeated throughout.

Sep 27, 2010, 03:55 PM

I have painted mant things and if the cabinets were originally stained then a good oil-based primer and then good enamel paint over that should not cause any yellowing. I have cleaned nicotine from walls and cabinets using a citrus based cleaner and degreaser. Zep makes one that is available at Home Depot.

Sep 27, 2010, 04:04 PM
    Cabinets were cleaned sanded then stained and sealed about 1 yr ago when smoker left the house. Now yellowing . But when you open kitchen cabs the
    The outine underneath has not yellowed. Only outside surface. Are you saying the yellowing can be cleaned with a cleaner?

Sep 27, 2010, 04:15 PM

Do you know what the cabinets were sealed with?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will bromine cause yellowing of a wall [ 0 Answers ]

The wall inside of the bathroom is yellowing. Also towels clothes etc. We have a hot tub bellow. What would cause this?

Yellowing Gel Nails [ 1 Answers ]

I've been getting gel nails over my own for the strength it provides for about 3 months. Before that I got acrylic for about 3 months for the same reason. I like to have the natural nail look so I don't get polish or anything. :cool: My Problem; After about 3 days the gel turns yellow. The...

Gardenia Flowers are Yellowing [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know why some of my gardenia flowers are blooming yellow and others white but all on the same bush? What kind of fertilizer should I use and how often? The bushes have been in the ground for about a month and are blooming like crazy I'm just worried about the yellowing.

View more questions Search