Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kscher Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2010, 04:20 PM
    DEFT Sealer, VARATHANE stain both oil based
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 27, 2010, 04:21 PM

I just noticed you said cabinets were cleaned and stained. That isn't how things should be done unless the cabinets never had a sealer or poly coat to start with. A finished cabinet would have stain and poly or varnish. Once the poly of varnish is on the wood you can't just CLEAN and then expect stain to soak in like it should. Altenweg is looking in the right direction, at your painter. He did something incorrectly but its hard to know what since there are so many ways to do things wrong, only a few ways to do it right.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Sep 27, 2010, 04:30 PM

I blame it on the oil-based sealer for the yellowing.
    Oil based paint versus latex based paint
    All About Oil Based Varnish | Article | Woodworking
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2010, 06:18 AM

If you have Ceiling Fans, and you have white blades, Yellowing from a Smoker is Typical.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Sep 29, 2010, 12:52 AM

Exposure to light causes the yellowing. The inside of the cabinet doesn't get the constant exposure to daylight. The problem is with the product used to seal the cabinets. What kind of wood are the cabinets made of and what color are they stained?
    You said the painter said the cabinets are on the cheap side... if they are made from plywood then it is either birch or pine. The painter should have known what he was dealing with before attempting to produce a certain result. I blame the painter and don't let him blame it on nicotine.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 29, 2010, 07:43 AM

I would agree.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will bromine cause yellowing of a wall [ 0 Answers ]

The wall inside of the bathroom is yellowing. Also towels clothes etc. We have a hot tub bellow. What would cause this?

Yellowing Gel Nails [ 1 Answers ]

I've been getting gel nails over my own for the strength it provides for about 3 months. Before that I got acrylic for about 3 months for the same reason. I like to have the natural nail look so I don't get polish or anything. :cool: My Problem; After about 3 days the gel turns yellow. The...

Gardenia Flowers are Yellowing [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know why some of my gardenia flowers are blooming yellow and others white but all on the same bush? What kind of fertilizer should I use and how often? The bushes have been in the ground for about a month and are blooming like crazy I'm just worried about the yellowing.

View more questions Search