Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkshamrock13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2010, 07:01 PM
    Why can't I sign on on either my laptop (vista) 9.5 or my computer XP. 9.0?
    I get to the welcome screen but when I type my password in I get the goodbye.
    NairobiPOD Posts: 21, Reputation: 4

Sep 26, 2010, 09:57 AM
    I don't know what you mean with Vista 9.5 or XP 9.0. XP is Windows 5.5 and Vista Windows 6.0.
    To your problem:
    This usually happens when the userinit is defective missing or not addressed. Mostly the cause is that it has been deleted by a Virus, so at first scan your computers with a Bootable Anti-Virus Disk, take thisone for example: http://www.free-av.com/en/products/1...ue_system.html

Then apply the recomennded procedure by Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555648/en-us/

In short:
    1.)get a working computer with the Same OS(Windows) search explorer.exe and userinit.exe and copy them on a flashdisk.
    Start the defective PC with a bootable CD (maybe from Microsoft, Acronis, Norton Ghost, etc.) and copy them to the same folder, then bott and try.
    If it's still not working try step 2

2.)go to the working comuter again start regedit.exe click File>Connect Remote Registry; Type the computername of the defective computer and click connect.
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and set the values:
    shell=explorer.exe
    and
    userinit= c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe (microsoft advises to use x:\... but I'm sure you are supposed to enter the value that represents your System-Drive)

The try again, if it still doesn't work a repair installation will be your last option!

NairobiPOD Posts: 21, Reputation: 4

Sep 26, 2010, 10:00 AM
    Comment on NairobiPOD's post
    For step 2: of cause both computers must be switched on and connected to the same network.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I reboot my laptop because I have forgot my password to sign in to my laptop [ 3 Answers ]

How do I reboot my laptop beacause I have forgot my password to sign in to my laptop

I can't access my XP computer from my Vista laptop [ 1 Answers ]

Hey ! I have a few computers on my network. I'm running winvista premium edition and I would like to connect to a desktop on my network that is running XP SP2. I'm using tcp ip v 4 and I have disabled tcp ip v 6. I installed the Microsoft Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder...

Acer Laptop with Windows Vista [ 5 Answers ]

My new laptop has just blacked out, last week, and I cannot get it started. I have tried just about everything. Searched the internet for answers etc. It says it does not recognise the operating system, in fact it says there is none...

Connect laptop with XP to laptop with Vista [ 1 Answers ]

Easiest way to connect laptop with XP to laptop with Vista

XP laptop networked to Vista PC [ 1 Answers ]

I have lost the wireless connection on my laptop and cannot connect to my desk PC or the internet. I have checked and double checked every setting and what I am getting now is looking for IP address, and it just tries that all the time. I use a Belkin router and have tried disconnecting that and...

View more questions Search