Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 20, 2010, 06:22 PM

Okra is ick. It tastes like boiled slug dipped in sand.

No idea how much mom uses--I think she has frozen bags of it and just tosses in a couple handfuls.

I should add that I make that jambalaya from memory--and it changes a little bit every time. And the bigger the onion, the spicier it is. The spicy in this dish has NOTHING to do with the pepper and everything to do with the onion.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 21, 2010, 02:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    Okra is ick. It tastes like boiled slug dipped in sand.

No idea how much mom uses--I think she has frozen bags of it and just tosses in a couple handfuls.

I should add that I make that jambalaya from memory--and it changes a little bit every time. And the bigger the onion, the spicier it is. The spicy in this dish has NOTHING to do with the pepper and everything to do with the onion.
    You're not real fond of summer squash, either, I'll bet.

More onion in jambalaya is always a good thing. The dish started as leftovers with onions.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 21, 2010, 05:31 AM

I should add, too, that chicken, sausage, and shrimp are interchangeable for me in this recipe. If I don't have sausage, but DO have shrimp, well--in go the shrimp!

I have a couple of really great recipe books. The original recipe I posted came from a low fat Cajun cookbook (with shrimp instead of sausage, obviously). I also have a Southern Cooking cookbook that I just bought this summer and haven't played with yet.

One of the few things I miss about Texas was the ability to get good Cajun food.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my ex calling me [ 4 Answers ]

I have been split up with my ex for about 3 months, he left me and it didn't end nicely through his actions. Basically he left me in a lot of financial diffuculty and has been uncooperative in helping me out in the situation so basically I have had to pay out all the debts by myself with not a...

Marie, I hear you calling, Marie the night is falling,Marie will you keep calling me [ 2 Answers ]

"Marie, I hear you calling, Marie the night is falling, Marie will you keep calling me" Every time the word"calling" is sung, it's held and rises. Any hints re anything? Title, artist, lyrics? Probably early 1950s.

For Southerners.Boudreaux and Thibodeaux [ 4 Answers ]

Boudreaux and Thibodaux are walking down a street in Houston when and they see a sign on a store that reads, "Suits $5.00 each, shirts $2.00 each, trousers $2.50 per pair." Boudreaux says to his pal, "Look here! We could buy a whole gob of these, take 'em back to Abbeville, sell 'em to our...

Keeps calling. [ 18 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend of 1 and 1/2 years recently broke up. She initially broke up with me, but then came back saying how much she missed me and wanted start things again slow, like dating, but only as friends. After a week of this just friends thing, I told her that we're either exclusive or...

View more questions Search