Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bat0219 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2010, 10:41 AM
    The shifter moves on my lawn tractor but the tractor does not move?
    The shifter on my lawn tractor (craftsman) moves into all gears but the tractor does not move - not forward or reverse. I just changed a wheel tire and the tractor sat propped up for a week or so... could this have caused the problem? The clutch moves... the shifter moves.
    Please advise. Thank you!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2010, 11:00 AM

What make? I had this same problem - shifted into gear, including reverse - but the tractor would not move. Called the service man who came out and the "gizmo" on the back (which is some sort of towing lever) was pushed in instead of pulled out. It cannot move when the lever is pushed in.

Mine is a Sears - and the service rep told me to read the manual!

Sep 20, 2010, 11:18 AM

It's a Craftsman/Sears 15.5 HP OHV. I don't have a manual - bought it second hand. The shifter moves without pressing the clutch and it rolls just fine when it is 'in gear' so your answer makes sense. Thanks... goin' to look online for the manual now.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2010, 11:35 AM

Check the wheel you took off , sounds like there axle key fell out.
    Jack it up and see if that side spins freely.
    LUCK

Sep 20, 2010, 12:06 PM

DG... You are right! I found the axle key! Kind of hard gettin' it back in - still working on that...
    I'll post when I'm up and moving!
    Thank you!

Sep 20, 2010, 12:26 PM

I'm so thankful for your help... both of you. DG - That fix it! I'm rolling now! I'm very lucky to have found that key and this site!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Were is oil filter on 2005 mtd lawn tractor, hydrostatic lawn tractor [ 1 Answers ]

Were is the oil filter located on a mtd hydrostatic lawn tractor.

Lawn tractor will not move [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I have a problem with my Sears Crafts man lawn tractor. THe model # is 917.270711. I can move the gears to all positions including reverse,but the tractor will not go forward or reverse. What could be the problem?

Craftsman 20.0 HP lawn tractor won't move. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 20.0 HP, 42'' mower; the engine starts and everything... it runs as long as the clutch/brake is being applied, but as you start removing the clutch/brake EVEN IN NEUTRAL the engine stops.. so the engine works but stops as you remove the clutch/Brake by the way it has a...

View more questions Search