Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gethenet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 04:56 PM
    Hotwater in shower LOW
    For about the past 4 months the hotwater in the upstairs shower/tub has been getting worse. Cold water is GREAT.. but hot is not. Changed shower heads.. and that didn't do a thing... Checked all other sinks in house.. and hot water pressure seems to be fine there.
    I need help... I have a 72 gallon gas heater... someone said to drain it, and see if its filled with junk?
    Any and all suggestions will be great!
    clouded Posts: 31, Reputation: 3
    -

Jan 9, 2007, 12:53 PM
    You also might want to insulate the pipes.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 10, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Mineral build-up in the water heater can get vinti the system and clog the inlet ports of a faucet. That's what I think has happened here. Shut the water off to the tub and open up the valve. Check and clean the inlet ports on the cartridge. Now turn the water back on to thr open valve to flush out the supplies. You should have a full stream coming out of the open valve. You FLUSH not DRAIN your heater.
    For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Let me show you how. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low water pressure in shower [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, We have recently moved to an apartment that had the (two) bathrooms renovated before we moved in. The renovation was done in such a way that it made the bathrooms worse than they were before we moved in. For starters, they put in all non-standard elements: sink, tub, toilet, faucets. We...

Low Shower Pressure [ 5 Answers ]

Could you please tell me why only 1 out of my 3 showers has low water pressure. This is a brand new home? They are Symmons Alure showers. The low water pressure is in the master bath (it is a stand up shower - no tub)

Another shower low pressure problem [ 3 Answers ]

I have read some of the other low pressure shower issues posted here but none seem quite the same. I don't have a one valve or three valve system. Mine is a two valve shower system... hot and cold. It is a shower, not a tub/shower. My problem is that the hot water pressure is really bad. I...

Low hotwater pressure, plumber wants $$ to fix, I think I can do it myself [ 35 Answers ]

I'm fairly handy but the whole gas/hot water thing intimidates me. I have a 10-12 year old Rheeem Ruud hotwater tank and my hot water be it hot - has horrible pressure from every faucet. The plumber wants at least $100 dollars to come fix it and said they know exactly what it is - and made...

Low hotwater pressure [ 18 Answers ]

Hi, the upstairs shower is only trickling when turn to hot. It's a one knob with hot/cold. The two sinks in the same bathroom are working just fine with hot. One thing, this shower is hardly ever use by the family. What could be the problem? Thanks

View more questions Search