Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Sep 20, 2010, 06:10 AM
    Wounds that won't heal
    My dog has a wound near his anus that will not heal . It is an oozing smelly wound. I have been to the vet we started with just anti biotics for the first treatment. He has had fistula surgery in the past at about 6 years old. The vet saw no signs of fistulas. After a few days the wound was almost gone and he awful smell was too. A few days after he stopped the meds it came back. We the went to anti biotics with a steriod also. Within a few days again it came back. He is 12 and half and in good health for an old man. We may have to keep him on a low dose anti biotic for long term. He is showing no ill effects of the meds in fact he is much more playful. I am sure due to the wound under control. And no pain in his butt when he wags his tail.

I know that the meds can cause so other issues but we are at alose on what else to do.

Has anyone dealt with this before?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2010, 06:30 AM

Can you post a photo of the wound?

I have an idea but don't want to get your hopes up without having a look first ;)

Sep 20, 2010, 06:37 AM

Sorry no camera. It looks like a hot spot wound. To the left of the anus, It is round when off the meds is gets the size of a half dollar.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 20, 2010, 06:48 AM

Shazzy, could it be ringworm?

Does it look like any of these pictures?

Ringworm in Dogs - Pictures of Ringworm -Symptoms and Treatment

Sep 20, 2010, 06:56 AM

Not ringworm, Looks like a raw hot spot . Red and oozing . Vet checked anal glands and for fistulas. He is old so she thinks it is not healing because of a comprimised auto immune system
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2010, 08:07 AM

Hot spot was what I was thinking, sometimes nothing the vet gives can clear them up and they keep coming back.

What I do for hot spots, and it won't hurt if that's not what it is is do regular salt washes.
    Just a teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water. Dab on the wound with a cotton ball and then dry with a towel.
    The solution is mild enough not to sting, but strong enough that the salt will help dry the wound out faster.

Do this 3-4 times a day until you see an improvement, then cut back to just twice a day until it has healed.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2010, 10:17 AM

Does he constantly lick it? If he continues to pester it, it'll never heal. You might have to put a cone on his head while your are trying to heal the wound up.

It does sound like a hot spot, but I don't think hotspots smell.. I don't think ringworm smells either. Has your vet tried to run a culture on what it might be? If its any type of fungus infection, a culture needs to be grown to figure out what it is. Antibiotics will help with infection, but won't heal the wound "faster".

My mom runs a rescue and we get boo-boos all the time, there is a spray medication that might help you. Its called wound-klot. It would be found in the horse section of any livestock dept but it is safe to use on all animals. It's a purple spray.. It helps heal skin wounds pretty fast! It also doesn't taste to good if the dog decides to lick it. That might be an option for you.

Also.. this could very well be a lick granuloma. Lick granuloma are very itchy which is why dogs continue to open it. They can be a perfect circle and at times can have an oder. Since this wound is so close to his anus, the smell might be from him licking to the point of released his anal glands. Fecal matter can get into the wound and create the infection.

Either way, try and prevent him from licking this wound. Get a cone if you have to. Once the wound is scabbed over, you can then apply the bitter anti-lick sprays. Get that purple stuff.. it works good!

Good luck

Sep 20, 2010, 01:20 PM

Thanks everyone. He does not lick at the wound. Since it is so close to the tail when it is raw his tail wagging hurts him. It is also hard to keep clean as wiping his behind after each potty is diffucult. I will give the salt washes a try.
    ntxwriter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2012, 05:55 AM
    Just one comment about cones. My dog has this same thing and we got a blow up neck pillow at petsmart that is very comfortable for her but she can't lick her bottom. She really struggled with the usual Victorian lamp shade thing! She's 13 abd has trouble with her back legs at the best of times.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat in fight need to completely heal wounds [ 14 Answers ]

My cat was in a fight, I can not get his wounds to completely heal. Does anyone have a suggestion or solution for this? Thanks. Got in the fight over 2 months ago. Got puncutures at his neck. I cleaned the wound with soap and water and treated with h. peroxide. Got infected and swelled up,...

Some wounds are just to deep ! [ 3 Answers ]

When a person purposely deceives or goes out of there way to hurt you. When it meant nothing to the other person. When then don't even value a friendship with you.

Puppy wounds [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 3week old lab puppy. Her tail has leisons all up and down it and her back paws have some too (one paw almost completely covered). We have never seen anything like this before. Any ideas on how to heal them? She won't wag her tail and it is limp. This is not our first litter of pups...

Is it correct: though, time heals all wounds? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello everybody, I am a girl , and in few words, I need you to share with me steps or anything to do in order to forget about a losten love (in my case: I found that I loved someone who already loves another girl.) please how to recover from this shock , and how to never think of him as a...

View more questions Search