Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paul geraghty Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 03:04 PM
    Leaking h/w tank pressure valve
    I have a 40 gal ruud gas h/w tank the pressure release valve on top is attached to a long verticle copper pipe, wich is constantly dripping, the drip becomes a leak after hot water is used anywhere in the house. Tried opening up all faucets to release pressure. This did not work. Any suggestions?
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 28, 2006, 03:56 PM
    Depending on the age of your tank it is more than likely time to change your pressure relief valve. In addition, it would be wise to flush your hot water tank in the process.

Dec 28, 2006, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrowrj
    Depending on the age of your tank it is more than likely time to change your pressure relief valve. In addition, it would be wise to flush your hot water tank in the process.
    The hot water tank is 6mo. Old the problem started when the city increased the water pressure. Thank you for the quick response!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2006, 04:51 PM
    Do you have a back flow preventer and if so, an expansion tank? The city may have added one when they increased the pressure. When you use hot water, it is replaced by cold, which expands as it heats and the excess has to go somewhere. In the past, no problem as water was free to flow out the water meter. Many places now require a back flow preventer stopping the water from going back out the inlet. It has to go somewhere. It will go out the pressure relief valve if nowhere else is available. Once it has tripped the relief valve a few time, it may collect some dirt and never reseal. Taking it off and cleaning might work, but a new one would be better. However, it the water still doesn't have any place to go, you haven't fixed the problem, just treated a symptom. The solution is an expansion tank. It has water in the bottom, and air in the top. The air compresses as water flows back out into the expansion tank. The air expands when you draw hot water.

A 6 month old pressure relief valve should not need routine replacement.

Dec 29, 2006, 06:12 AM
    The tank is 6mos old. Any way to adjust the valve? I don't have an owners manuel and can't find one on line. Prior owner installed it.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2006, 06:29 AM
    Even if it was adjustable, you wouldn't have any way of checking what pressure you were setting it for. Even opening it and letting some water out might flush out the dirt in it allowing it to reseal.

You really need to check for a back flow preventer and add an expansion tank if there is one. Otherwise, the problem will continue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure/bladder tank losing pressure? [ 11 Answers ]

Well, I have asked some questions about my plumbing before. So I am calling on you guys once again. I have a 52 gallon pressure tank/bladder tank made by wellsaver. I turn the water on and have good pressure for a few minutes then it basically goes dead with no pressure. I recently posted questions...

Bigger pressure tank or increase pressure? [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a new home and the builder had installed a 20 gal pressure tank. I have a jet pump system where the motor sits directly on the tank itself. I really notice the pump running a bit,but also notice the loss of pressure quickly, especially in the shower. Now I was thinking of buying a much...

Leaking overflow pipe in water tank [ 2 Answers ]

How do I stop my overflow pipe in the cold water tank from leakin?

Tank Pressure vs Pump Cut Out Pressure for Well [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to increase my water system pressure to the minimum required 40 PSI to feed my reverse osmosis drinking water filter. However, the 33 gallon pressure tank for my well pump system says it is pre-charged at 30 PSI and that the cut in pressure for my pump should be set equal to that 30...

View more questions Search