Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KPsjcsjc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2010, 11:09 AM
    How do I convert .gdb files to .xls files in MS Word?
    I transferred several files from Win XP to Win 7. They are text only files and when they appeared in win 7 WORD they were garbled.
    Only a few words appeared in plain English,the rest in x,y code. I am at a loss and appreciate any help.
    Thanks, Ken
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2010, 06:51 AM
    Are you getting the output from gdb?

If not what program are you getting the file from?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 20, 2010, 07:14 AM

If they are text files, change the extension to TXT and open in Notepad.
    KPsjcsjc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2010, 10:44 AM
    Thank you for your response.
    When I installed Windows 7 it came with Word 2007. I cannot remember exactly how, but I followed the instructions to move files from Win. XP that were in
    Word 2003. When they appeared in the new version some were OK and came up as .xlsx.
    Several others are now in 'My Documents' as .gdb. When I open any of these,they are garbled and appear in a box titled 'File Conversion'
    The next line says "Select the encoding to make your documents readable". The options are 'Windows default' MS-DOS and 'other encoding' with a list
    Of optional countries.
    I am sorry to say that I have no idea where to move on from there. I am 77yrs old and somewhat amateur at this. Thanks for any help. Ken.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 20, 2010, 11:12 AM

If they were Word 2003 files they weren't just text. Try renaming the files with a DOC extension. Not sure how you exported the files, but they should have neither a gdb or xls extension.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to convert rar files over to playable DVD files? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to convert rar files over to dvd files. I can't seem to find any software that will allow me to convert. Need help... Thanks...

How Do I Convert .m4a files to .mp3 files? [ 2 Answers ]

I have my whole music library on iTunes version 7, which creates the songs into m4a files. How can I convert those files without buying software to mp3s to play on other devices? Thanks!

Xls files [ 1 Answers ]

How can I open and view xls files without buying and installing excel?

Convert garmin files to esri .shp files [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a file conversion utility to conver garmin track/ waypoint files to ESRI .shp files or ESRI .shp to Garmin format

View more questions Search