Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    randilee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 12:18 PM
    Paying less rent for unfulfilled landlord agreements
    At the beginning of our lease when we decided to move into our condo, my boyfriend and I went to look at the place. We really liked it but wanted some things done and offered to pay more rent to have these things done before we moved in. the original rent was 800 a month. We offered to pay 840 to have some renovations done. (kitchen cabinets painted, both bathroom counters replaced, and new bathroom/kitchen floors.) landlord agreed and had 4 months to complete these things. When we moved in only the kitchen cabinets had been painted and the place had not even been cleaned yet. We were very patient. This was in August and it is now almost January and the work is still not done. The floors have gone in. (an AWFUL job upstairs) and the vanities are in the middle of being replaced. While switching vanities, one of the maintenance men broke the full length mirror in my bathroom. Instead of replacing it, the landlord had it cut down and is now going to be painting the bathroom to cover up the disgusting walls that were behind the old mirror. Our condo has been under constant construction since we moved in including our heat not working twice. (it does not work right now) meanwhile, we have been paying the 840 a month since we moved in. is this right? Is there anything we can do about this to get back the money that we feel we have been unfairly paying? Thank you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2006, 12:35 PM
    Hello randi:

Sure there is. But it depends on what YOU want the result to be, and how far you're willing to go to achieve it.

I don't know what is written or not, and what's been done or not... It's a big convoluted mess. Do you want the past extra $40 that you've paid back? Will you be happy if the landlord gets to fixing? Do you want out of your lease? What?

From now on, do ALL of your communications with your landlord in writing. If you speak on the phone, follow it up with a letter documenting the conversation. Send your letters, certified, return receipt requested. In your first letter, simply ask the landlord for what you want.

THAT, may very well be enough. If not, then you'll have to get heavier, and heavier with them, until you move and sue them. If that's what's going to happen, then that's what's going to happen. At least you'll be ready for court.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting Adult Child not paying Rent [ 9 Answers ]

How can I throw an adult child who will not follow rules of house and just want to waste his life away?

Pre-nuptial agreements [ 1 Answers ]

Must pre-nuptiasl agreements made in Quebec, Canada, be executed before a Quebec notary?

Eviction and still paying rent? [ 1 Answers ]

My friend is living in a crappy apartment that she is to pay 650 dollars a month for. Her and her exboyfriend are on the lease but he doesn't pay his half of rent. The landlord told her that if she payed 325 of it she could just move out. Now she is saying that she is going to evict her and she is...

Roommate not paying rent, but leaving in 3 weeks. [ 3 Answers ]

My roommate is moving out oct 26, 2006 - he is not on the lease, I am, and we have a verbal agreement.. he has been OK up to this point - last month he paid 1/2 his rent and this month he has still not paid. What I am asking is, if he does not pay this months rent, and he is out in 3 weeks...

Sister-in-law Not Paying Rent [ 10 Answers ]

Help! My sister-in-law rents from us at our salon and she is behind two months in rent. When she started renting from us about 1 year ago, she agreed to pay rent. She only works one day a week and we gave her the first 2 months rent free to help her get on her feet. When we asked for rent on...

View more questions Search