Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cordana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2010, 09:28 AM
    Can a person be forced to sign a corrective quit claim deed
    My mother signed some property over to me in 1999 by using a quit claim deed, we had the property surveyed and the legal description quit claim deed was filed at the court house, now I am currently selling the property and have been told by the title company that the survey done in 1999 is incorrect, the property has been surveyed again and the corrections made on the legal description of the quit claim deed but now my mother refuses to sign the corrective quit claim deed, is there anything I can do??
    The land is in Florida
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 18, 2010, 09:39 AM

Since the only reason for the corrective deed is changing the legal description of the property, then your mom has no recourse to refuse to sign. You may have to go to court to compel her signature though.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 18, 2010, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cordana View Post
    my mother signed some property over to me in 1999 by using a quit claim deed, we had the property surveyed and the legal description quit claim deed was filed at the court house, now i am currently selling the property and have been told by the title company that the survey done in 1999 is incorrect, the property has been surveyed again and the corrections made on the legal description of the quit claim deed but now my mother refuses to sign the corrective quit claim deed, is there anything i can do ????
    The land is in florida
    What did you pay her for the property? If she simply gave it to you, I don't see how she can be required to give it to you again.

If you paid her for the property, why was it done with a quitclaim deed. In any event, I believe 11 years is beyond the statute of limitations for contracts to convey real property. If so, you have no right to a QCD.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 18, 2010, 12:54 PM

I guess my issue is exactly what it changes on the deed. The legal discription should be the same, so many feet from point a or b the only issue on a survey is where those points are.
    *** are am I missing something.

But you will have to clear the title in court if she will not sign it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 18, 2010, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I guess my issue is exactly what it changes on the deed. The legal discription should be the same, so many feet from point a or b the only issue on a survey is where those points are.
    *** are am I missing something.
    Right. Say the legal description reads something like this:

From point A 100 feet north to point B; then 100 feet west to point C; then 100 feet south to point D; thence 100 feet east to the point of beginning (point A).
    Now your title company got a survey which said what something like, Points C and D are actually 101 feet to the west of the line A-B? Well, your mother didn't give you that 1' by 100' strip. And she doesn't want to. So how do you figure she should have to?

The issue can be solved by application of the law of adverse possession, assuming the AP SOL is less than the 11 years you thought the land was yours. Without knowing all the details, it appears the applicable statute 1s seven years in Florida.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Corrective quit deed [ 1 Answers ]

Re: Need for a Corrective Quit Deed Problem: I recently filed a correctly completed Quit Deed however the Records Division (out-of-state) ignored the language adding a new party to the deed who was getting a 50% right to the property and instead filed it as a 100% transfer of all rights. I...

Can I my boyfriend sign a quit claim deed before we get married? Would it be valid? [ 2 Answers ]

I am purchasing my first home, my boyfriend and I will live there. I would like him to sign a quit claim deed, because I do not want him to be able to claim any rights to my property. Can I my boyfriend sign a quit claim deed before we get married? Would it be valid?

Special warranty deed and quit claim deed what are they? [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference bewtween the two and what is the purpose?

Reversal of life estate deed using quit claim deed [ 2 Answers ]

Can a life estate deed be reversed if all remainders sign a quit claim deed in North Carolina?

Corrective Deed, New Quit Claim Deed, or See an Attorney? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a major problem with a quit claim deed that was done regarding my father's property. The intention was to put me in the deed but as an heir to the property, not as a co-owner or anything like that. So, a quit claim deed was filled out and recorded at the clerk of the circuit court. However,...

View more questions Search