Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quicklearner Posts: 38, Reputation: 3

Sep 17, 2010, 08:57 PM
    How do I finish this upstairs 'room'? Vapor barrier needed? Or just straight drywall
    Been reading for an hour and don't really see the answer to my question, as most people are finishing basements, garages and bathrooms rather than unfinished rooms. This is an unfinished space on the first level of my home. 20 feet by 20 feet, roughly. Of the four walls standing I'll be finishing 3 of them and creating a 4th with framing. Two of the walls are exterior walls and the third is an interior one, with a living room on the other side.

Can I just put drywall on them and go, or is there a need for a plastic vapor barrier-type application. The home is in MD. I've attached pics so you can see what the current insulation looks like. Thanks!

Sep 17, 2010, 09:00 PM
    Hmmm, can't add pics like I remember... looks like just links...

Sep 17, 2010, 09:52 PM

All right, so the first pic is the exterior wall and the ceiling (need to do finish that too!). Above the ceiling is a bedroom. I noticed that the exterior walls have the paper backed insulation.

The second pic is the interior wall and a duct that will need to be framed during the process. Thanks in advance for your input!
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Sep 18, 2010, 12:37 PM

Exterior walls need a vapor barrier and insulation. In the pics you posted, the paper attached to the insulation serves as the vapor barrier. Sometimes contractors will choose to install insulation without the paper. In those situations a plastic vapor barrier needs to be instilled. When I gutted my house I used the paper backed fiberglass. Never use a plastic vapor barrier on top of the paper. It will create a space that traps moisture... which is a very bad thing.

Interior walls do not need insulation but some people add it for noise dampening. If you keep the insulation on the interior walls do not use any type of vapor barrier. Vapor barriers should only be used when there is a cold zone on one side of the wall and a warm zone on the other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vapor barrier in Bathroom [ 7 Answers ]

I am doing a bathroom remodel in my Central PA home. I have heard several different opinions on how to install a vapor barrier. I was told by one person that I should install unfaced insulation on all exterior walls and then install a 4 mil poly vapor barrier. After that, I should install green...

Vapor barrier in ceiling? [ 2 Answers ]

My Kitchen has an old panel typed ceiling which I really dislike and is starting to show unevenness due to the old glue coming undone. Plan is to just rip it down and replace it with drywall. However I have a question about installing a vapor barrier.. Right now it is just ceiling titles, then...

Vapor barrier behind greenboard. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: In doing greenboard sheetrock in a bathroom, I have been told that I should not use a vapor barrier over the insulation for outside walls. If this is correct then why? In addition is any problem expected if regular drywall screws are used instead of stainless Screws? What...

Double vapor barrier [ 1 Answers ]

Will there be a potential problem using a DOUBLE vapor barrier as in the following setup? Bedrooms were cold/drafty. Removed the drywall on the outer walls, sealed all leaks and put in new insulation. The insulation has the paper vapor barrier attached, installed toward the heated room. As...

Vapor barrier needed? [ 2 Answers ]

Installed 9" of spray foam insulation (Sealection 800) in roof system (R=38) in a home in Massachusetts. Bldg Inspector says we need a vapor barrier, but manufacturer says no barrier is needed with this product. Anybody have any knowledge in this area? Does open cell/closed cell make a...

View more questions Search