Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ydidoitagain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2010, 04:02 AM
    My name is on the mortgage but not the deed, getting divorced and need advise.
    Please advise. My husband purchased our home 2 months before we married to have as our family home. We had trouble after the first year and I moved out. When got back together, never divorced, and he re-fi the property and told me I would be added to the deed I just need to go to the back and sign some papers. I went and signed the papers they had for me and now we are going to divorce and I am told what I signed was mortgage papers but he never added me to the deed. Do I have any claim to the equity in the home? We have been married for 3 years and 11 months and we live in Ky. But got married in IN. Please help! I can't afford a lawyer and he wants to take everything!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 17, 2010, 04:04 AM

If the property was purchased before marriage, then it depends on local laws. But most likely, you don't have any claim on the equity but do have responsibility on the loan.

However, this can all be worked out in the divorce settlement. Such a settlement is a negotiation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Warranty deed versus mortgage deed [ 1 Answers ]

What deed is given when there is a mortgage on the property

Need Advise on Home Mortgage [ 10 Answers ]

I need advise I owe $110,000 on a mortgage and the house was worth $125,00 and we have just been flooded for the third time and will cost about $30,000 to fix up. What are my options?

Divorced: exwife has house, I'm still on mortgage/title [ 2 Answers ]

Ex-wife and I divorced 9 years ago. We had (have) a house together - I just wanted to get out so didn't bother getting her to refinance or to sell the house. So, I still have my name on the mortgage and title. Meanwhile, 9 years later, she's been late on almost every payment and won't/can't...

View more questions Search