Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwalt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 08:50 AM
    Washing machine overflows into sink (and over)
    Hi all,
    I have a house that is more than 100 years old. Our washing machine is in the basement. About 30 feet over, we have a half bath. Whenever we run a large load, water drains out of the washing machine OK, but backs up into the bathroom sink, and eventually over the counter and onto the floor.
    Some other info (and please let me know what else you need):
    The drain hose comes up from the washing machine into a PVC pipe. No water comes out from that. Next to where the hose goes into the PVC is another opening in the PVC at the same height. (Think of a "U" where the hose goes into one part of the U and the other end is open)
    Is this a clog problem? If so, is there any chemical I can use to solve it? (we have some PVC, some cast iron, and some copper) Or is this a venting problem? Should the open end of that "U" be higher than the side where the drain hose goes in?
    I don't know a lot about plumbing, but I know I can't afford a plumber! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 28, 2006, 11:42 AM
    City sewer or a septic tank? I can see no problems with the "U" on the stand pipe. I would suggest that you rent a sewer snake and run it down the lavatory vent in your bathroom. Put out enough cable to reach the base and 20 foot more. Good luck, Tom
    jwalt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 12:53 PM
    It's city sewer. I just got an auger from a neighbor, so I'll give it a go.
    Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine Overflows [ 4 Answers ]

My washing machine, Kenmore model # 110.49722991 (apartment size) doesn't sense how much water is in the tub and will continue to fill until it overflows. Twice now I have flooded my apartment with 2" of water. I don't think I will try for three. :eek: Can it be fixed or should I just get another....

Washing machine draining into sink! [ 2 Answers ]

When I run my waher, the kitchen sink fills up with soapy water! It does not overflow but almost! My washer is obviously not draining correctly! Please help!

HELP! After new washing machine installed, drain pipe overflows! [ 10 Answers ]

Just bought Maytag, top load washer. After the wash cycle, as the water is draining, the water will come back over the drain pipe and over flow onto the floor. HOWEVER, it doesn't do this every time. Sometimes it will drain after the wash and not overflow, but then after the rinse cycle, as the...

Washing machine discharge goes into sink [ 12 Answers ]

I live in a raised ranch. The toilet and shower are backed up to the laundry room. The sink and the washer use the same discharge pipe. When the washer drains, the water backflows into the sink and out onto the bathroom floor. The plumber has been here twice and installed a vent in the pipe but it...

Downstairs toilet overflows when dishwasher or washing machine is emptying [ 2 Answers ]

When dishwasher and/or washing machine is emptying the downstairs toilet overflows. There is sometimes a bubbling or gurgling sound. Sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. We do have a septic tank, about 5 years old. There is no sewage involved in the overflow just the wash waste waster. A few...

View more questions Search