Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    constructiongal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 08:49 AM
    Heater loud noise when shuts down, cold air returns are whistling
    We just moved to a new home that is about 3500 square feet and has a basement. I know part of it, is just getting used to the new sounds. However, our heater, when it shuts off, makes a huge 'BOOM' sound! Is that just the way it goes?

Also, after the heater shuts off... the fan must still be running to cool off the heater or something... and the air in the vents makes a whistling sound in the ducts near the ceiling. Can I cover those?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2006, 06:35 PM
    No, don't cover the vents, are they all open 30% or more? Boom noise is probably a contracting duct some where. It needs a suport or better cross break. Also check your air filter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold air returns-open/close? [ 4 Answers ]

Each one of my bedrooms has two cold air returns. One is located near the floor and has a grill that can be opened & closed. The one located near the ceiling is just a grill. I know hot air rises, cold air is heavier, etc. When should the bottom one be opened or closed-summer/winter seasons? ...

Cold Air Returns [ 2 Answers ]

Which cold air returns do you close in the winter?

HVAC cold air returns in Basement [ 1 Answers ]

What size of cold air return should I use on th ebasement approx 700squre feet two separate room with two heat vents in each 4" will do per room?? Thanks

HVAC cold air returns [ 2 Answers ]

Should I install Cold air returns in my finished basement I have a force air 90 percent furnace Thanks Jim

Loud Knocking Noise when cold water side of shower is on [ 5 Answers ]

Howdy folks. When I turn my shower on, I have to turn the water all the way to hot, switch the shower lever, and then adjust to warm... otherwise I get a huge loud knocking sound from the basement. I went down to see if I could see pipes rattling or anything, but nothing. I turned on the faucet...

View more questions Search