Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kristingraulich Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 10:30 AM
    21 year old came to US from Portugal at age 9 with tourist visa
    A 21 year old male came to the US from Portugal at the age of 9 with a tourist visa he is currently facing deportation is there any thing he can do to try to stop this from happening
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2010, 10:46 AM

He doesn't have papers allowing him to stay because his tourist visa expired 6 months after he got here, over 11 years ago, not any time recently. All he can do is apply and hope they accept the forms before his deportation date.

And anyway... even if it hadn't a tourist visa isn't transferrible to any other visa.
    kristingraulich Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 05:05 PM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    What exactly does he apply for? Apparently the deportation process as not begun he has been granted a 6 month stay and at that time they can either grant an extension or be asked to leave the country. Would marriage be an option living in NJ?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2010, 06:27 PM

Marriage will NOT make a difference. Marriage does NOT automatically get him a green card.

That's a false story that has spread around for decades. Marriage will only complicate it.

I've been through it with my wife, 20 years ago. Only she was never illegal.
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Sep 16, 2010, 05:37 AM

If he is not in deportation proceedings, then he is still under the jurisdiction of the USCIS.

Since he is a long-term B2 overstay, the USCIS will not grant any type of nonimmigrant visa classification, so he will need permanent residence. The most common is family-based. What is the immigration status of his parents? Are they still here in the US? Is he engaged to a USC?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tourist visa to student visa [ 4 Answers ]

I have sufficient funds to support my studies and my parents are willing sponsor me. Will it be difficult to change my B2 visa to F1 if in case I plan to study in US? Do I really need to declare my intention to study upon arrival at the port of entry?

Change london tourist visa to dependent visa [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I'm from Srilanka. I'm studying in UK now. My wife came to UK as a touriest ( She got touriest visa) but I have one year visa to study in UK so I want to change my wife visa to like a depending visa. How to change this. When I finished my study then I and my wife altoghter to go back...

J1 visa quit tourist visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm German and am currently on an industrial training program on a J1 visa. I want to quit my program because it sucks. 1) How much time do I have to leave the country after my contract gets terminated? And 2) Can I fly back in to the US on a tourist visa? I'm asking because I do have a lot...

Can change Tourist visa to Dependency visa in you.S [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, If I travelled on tourist visa to U.S and get married there. Is there any way to change my touist visa to Dependent visa there itself.

K1 fiancˇe visa or tourist visa [ 1 Answers ]

1) Which will be easier to get. 2) What will be the dollar amount. 3) How long will they take.

View more questions Search