Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RacerX Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2006, 11:16 PM
    Kenmore washer not spinning or agitating
    I have a Kenmore model# 110.28912790 that won't agitate or spin. It fills with water and stops filling at the appropriate amount. But, it won't begin to agitate. I just hear the motor spinning. It sort of sounds like a loose bearing. I have verified that the lid switch works. When I manually put the washer in to the spin cycle and lift the lid, the motor stops making noise. When I lower the lid back down, the motor starts again. I have even used a pencil to push down on the lid switch, so I can see if the drum was turning, which is not. It does drain the water during the spin cycle. Any ideas what the problem is? Is this worth fixing? This washer is just short of 8 years old.

Thanks.
    RacerX Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2006, 12:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerX
    I have a Kenmore model# 110.28912790 that won't agitate or spin. It fills with water and stops filling at the appropriate amount. But, it won't begin to agitate. I just hear the motor spinning. It sort of sounds like a loose bearing. I have verified that the lid switch works. When I manually put the washer in to the spin cycle and lift the lid, the motor stops making noise. When I lower the lid back down, the motor starts again. I have even used a pencil to push down on the lid switch, so I can see if the drum was turning, which is not. It does drain the water during the spin cycle. Any ideas what the problem is? Is this worth fixing? This washer is just short of 8 years old.

Thanks.
    After more research on the Internet, I decided to have a go at fixing this. I did find that the problem was the motor coupler. One of the plastic "gears" was broken. I ran down to a local Sears service center and picked up a new one. It was about $15. This took a total of about 1.5 hours to replace.
    adoiron Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerX

Thanks.
    How did you verify the lid switch works and where is your lid switch ? I'm having trouble w/my 2 year old 110 model not starting when I shut the lid and I have to slam it multiple times but I can't figure out where the sensor is
    Thanks
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 04:15 PM
    The lid switch is on the back side of the tub opening. If you open unit up you will be able to test with ohm meter or jumper around it to test. Sounds like it is bad and in need of replacement though
    tamfis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2012, 08:48 PM
    My Kenmore series 70 washer just all of a sudden stopped agitating or spinning. I replaced the agitator dogs and it didn't help. I originally thought it was the coupling, but I took the coupling out and took it to the Sears parts store and they said it was okay that it was most likely the dogs. It fills and drains and everything else seems to be okay except it will not spin. Now I am thinking it may be the clutch. Any ideas or suggestions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Elite washer not spinning/agitating [ 11 Answers ]

I have the same washer as SerTam (dated 4/2/06). Model #110.20052 992 The washer filled and the light said it was washing but it was just making a horrible buzzing sound. It was not agitating. I was able to get it to drain though. It also would stop draining if I raised the lid so I don't think...

Kenmore elite catalyst washer not spinning [ 1 Answers ]

Model number 11020072991 Ok, here's where I'm at. I believe it's the drive coupler? I've disconnected the control panel and fliped it back. I remove the brass colored springs holding on the cover and removed the cover after disconnecting the clamps and hoses needed. Now, I'm stuck and don't...

Kenmore washer stopped spinning [ 11 Answers ]

My Kenmore washer, model# 417.99686210, has stopped spinning. It runs through the rest of the cycle, OK. It still agitates, indicating the motor is OK, but when it comes to the spin cycle, nothing. It fills with water and drains. If anyone can help, that would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Kenmore Washer not spinning [ 1 Answers ]

Kenmore Ultra fabric Care Heavy Duty 80 series. Wonderful machine suddenly doesn't spin or empty. It fills, agitates, but doesn't spin or empty on any cycle. I've checked my fuse panel, re-started the washer on different cycles, and none spin and empty. I've opened up a machine, taken apart...

Help with non-spinning Kenmore washer [ 6 Answers ]

My washer is only 5-6 years old but just today it stoppedspinning on any cycle. It does everything else, including aggitate during rinse but once rinsing/aggitating is done it just stops. I tried using spin on each other cycle in hopes that would help, but it didn't work. It doesn't smell...

View more questions Search