Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edith08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2010, 11:13 AM
    If a pharmacy tech leaves a message stating the prescription is ready?
    Is it a HIPPA violation if a pharmacy technician leaves a message staing the prescription is ready for pick up but does not leave specific information concerning the medication or disease?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 14, 2010, 11:16 AM

Why would that be a HIPAA violation?

At the public library, we leave messages on voice mail or answering machines to tell patrons their reserved books have come in, but are not allowed to say the title or author. We don't know who hears the message, and the information about the book might be confidential (e.g. a wife requesting a book on divorce).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 14, 2010, 11:27 AM

Assuming there was something in your answering machine message identifying you why would this be a problem?

If the message simply said your prescription was ready, why would you even be upset?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2010, 11:43 AM
    I don't understand what could have been a violation?

Nothing was stated other than you need to pick up an item, say for headaches or athletes feet... so what,you have a prescription.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2010, 12:49 PM

That's what Pharmacist do. How else would you know,unless you called. I'm no Lawyer, but I can tell you, NO it isn't a HIPPA violation.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 14, 2010, 03:07 PM

I am a Registered Nurse and certified in HIPAA. As long as there was no identifying information, i.e. your name, the name of the medication or the specific illness, no violation has occurred.
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Sep 15, 2010, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I am a Registered Nurse and certified in HIPAA. As long as there was no identifying information, i.e. your name, the name of the medication or the specific illness, no violation has occurred.
    They CAN leave your name, obviously the message is for you. But like J_9 said, they cannot leave any identifying info about the prescription.

If they reach a person and not voicemail, they are only allowed to say the prescription is ready, or if there is a problem, to ask for a return call concerning the prescription. They cannot discuss or mention the problem, be it not in stock, an insurance issue (ie, only generic covered but doctor wrote name brand requried), to early to fill, etc. If you've opted for reminder phone calls for refills, they can call when refills are due, but can't leave a message as to which ones are due.

It's customary to call patients when electronic or telephoned prescriptions are ready. It's also customary to call when prescriptions have been sitting for a couple days and then again before returning to inventory.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 06:36 PM

And normally they ask if you want them to call or text ( I get all my refill info texted to me) But just compare that to a doctors office where they use automated calling machines that call confirm your appointment the next day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pharmacy tech wages [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know what the average wages are in my area (N. IN), before I take the time for the class and spent the money. Thank You

View more questions Search