Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bena79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2010, 05:59 AM
    Is it bad that my pit pulls the runt of the litter away from the rest?
    My pit just had pups 2 weeks ago. She keeps picking the runt of the litter out and separating her from the rest. This morning when I was getting the kids up for school I noticed the runt was gone. We found her underneath my boys bed. The dog play pen is in the kitchen. I no there is no way the runt crawled its way all the way to my boys room and underneath their bed.. should I be worried that mom is separating the runt from the litter?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2010, 07:01 AM

Yes, she may be attempting to harm/kill/starve the puppy - has your Vet seen the pups? What does he/she say about their health?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 14, 2010, 09:00 AM

Yes, it sounds like your dog is separating the weak as not to take nutrients from the rest of the pack. You may need to supplement, or take mom and the runt and put them in a separate room to feed.

You may want to think about having someone there to watch over until pup is strong enough to be on his own. Mom may smother or do worse while no one is home.
    bena79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2010, 10:13 AM
    I have not taken them to the vet yet. But mom stays with the runt when she pulls it away from the rest of the litter. She slept with my boys as well last night. So again she remind near the runt. She does also let her feed. She will also take the runt bak to the litter. My mother bread pomeranians so I no a little about pups. Just never experienced mom taken runt away from litter and returning it to the litter.:confused:
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 14, 2010, 10:14 AM

Dogs will do funny things when whelping. Best to take mom and pups to the vet for their once over. Also keep a close eye on the runt, making sure he is staying warm and fed.
    Oceandog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2011, 12:35 PM
    Wow so strange my pit is doing the eact same thing at first I thought she didn't want the runt but it seems like she takes him away from the others to feed him or give him special attention.
    She pull him of her every now and again and moves him to the front of her where she licks him then she will take him back to the litter. She took him down stairs and under our bed this morning he squeeks and doesn't seem to like being carried by her. When he crys she gets upset and crys too. I'm getting a bottle today to her her feed them as she has 9 pups and some are quite large.
    Oceandog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2011, 12:37 PM
    Comment on Oceandog's post
    Please let me know what worked for your dog how did it pan out?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2011, 06:34 PM

Oceandog, this thread is fairly old, and the OP (original poster) hasn't been back.

If you have a question about your dog please start a new thread, you'll get more advice that way.

Thank you.

Thread closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Will my runt of the litter kitten get bigger? [ 3 Answers ]

My cat is 2 years old, and she still look's like a kitten. My husband says she is the runt of the litter and there is nothing wrong with her, but why won't she get any bigger?

Litter runt [ 5 Answers ]

I am a new breeder & would like some experienced input. My female boxer just whelped her first litter. She had 8 total. The first born is the runt of litter. The runt is a female & is doing well. If I choose to keep this runt; Will she be of good breeding stock at age 2 years ? I also have heard...

I have a runt in the litter mum is taking it out [ 10 Answers ]

I have a runt in the litter it eyes opend to day, when we can back from from having are christmas dinner the mum dog keep dringing the runt out of the pack and putting him in the living room on the sofa and then in the kitchen she stays with it for a short while then leaves it I keep putting it...

Bad litter box habit [ 5 Answers ]

I got a cat from a shelter several months ago. She is spayed and vet checked, she's perfectly healthy. She just has a bad habit that I would like explained and to get rid of. When I first got her, she had a regular depth uncovered litter box, and she would frequently "overhang" the box and end...

How can I tell if the runt of my dogs litter is in trouble [ 5 Answers ]

We have never experienced whelping with our rott weiler. She had a runt that weighs half that of the other pups and is not moving as well. Is that kind of thing normal? And what kinds of things do I need to be aware of for the runt of the litter? Thanks!:cool:

View more questions Search