Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    haroldmacmahan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2010, 01:50 PM
    I bought a 3hp air compressor that requires 230vac my garage is 120??
    Is there a way I can get power to the230 vac air compressor,from the 120 volt running in my garage.like piggy backing a power line to both hot connections on the outlet. Thanks... (If not,know anybody that wants to buy a new 230 vac air compressor)
    (JOKING)
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 13, 2010, 02:04 PM

No, there is absolutely no way to get the 240v that you need from a single 120v feed.
    There are transformers, but you not only need 240v, you need more amperage/wattage as well.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 13, 2010, 02:49 PM

You can pull a new 240V line.
    haroldmacmahan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2010, 03:16 PM
    Comment on hkstroud's post
    My garage is detached and the power box is on the far other ide of the house and has no place to put another breaker
    roneldoradohill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2010, 05:52 PM
    See http://www.equitech.com/support/120240.html
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 07:37 AM

Ronel,

The key here is safety. That is the whole purpose of the NEC.

If you have a subpanel in the garage, you can then feed from the subpanel "A" to a second subpanel "B" in the garage. Providing you do not exceed the amperage available in subpanel "A".

You would need a four wire feed from subpanel A to subpanel B.

You would feed from subpanel A using a correctly sized dual pole breaker.

Once you get to the B subpanel, you will need another dual pole breaker to feed the compressor.

Both the breaker and the conductor need to be sized properly for the compressor's motor. For that we have to know the Full Load Current of the motor as well whether the motor is single phase or 3 phase in addition to the HP, which you have already given us.

All of the information that is needed will be in the installation instructions or on the motor's nameplate.

If the feed to the motor is not correctly sized, you run several risks, fire is chief among them. The motor failing to start or seizing up are a couple of more.

Please do the installation correctly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1 phase 230vac air compressor hook up to 3 phase dryer outlet? How? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a single phase air compressor 230vac. But the only outlet in the house I am renting ( why I will not run new wires and breaker) is what I assume a 3 phase for the dryer. The outlet has a red, black, white and ground. If I am correct then I can use either the red and black or the white and...

I bought a harbor breeze universal ceiltng fan & light wall control requires 3 wires [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a harbor breeze universal ceiling fan & light wall control requires 3 wires. Well my wall only has 2 can I still use it and how?

Bought a used car. After 2562 miles it requires $7000 of maintenance fix. [ 1 Answers ]

I want to tell them to take the car back, and I want to stop paying on the auto loan which is with Chase Bank. Let them reprocess the car. What repercussions can I expect.

Amana air conditioning compressor fan runs but compressor does not [ 9 Answers ]

I have an Amana Model RCE30A2B Compressor unit installed it is about 6 years old, the compressor will not cut in when demanded yet the cooling fan for the unit does

Craftsman 3HP/20 gal. Air compressor [ 1 Answers ]

My hubby just bought a used air compressor, it starts runs but shuts down quickly, it seems to be air locked , is there a way to fix this?

View more questions Search