Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Labsrus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2010, 07:04 AM
    Dogs in kennels growling at each other
    My daughter & I got our Labradors from the same litter, one male and one female. They are now 5 years old and have been kept together during the week (at the male dogs home) while we work, then the female goes home with my daughter. Since we got them, they have been kenneled during the day, in their own kennels since they were about 6 months old. The kennels are kept in the same room. In the last year 2 years the dogs have been left out of the kennels on some days and kept kenneled on others, while we work. In about the last year, as soon as I put the dogs in the kennels in the morning, and give them their Kongs with treats, the female starts to growl and then the male growls back and then they snarl, bark, and look toward one another like they are fighting. This goes on for about 10-30 minutes, then they are quiet the rest of the day (as I have observed this on days I have stayed home). I have tried reprimanding them, squirting with water, playing music, covering the kennels so they can't see one another, and nothing changes this behavior. I have always given them a Kong with treats inside when I put them in their kennels and wonder if this is a food aggression, as I used to feed them in the same area and the last few months have separated their food bowls as only one would eat at a time and their were some little growls, but never any further aggression. I have withheld the Kongs for a few days when they were kenneled, but the growling and snarling still goes on. I am now afraid to leave them out during the day for fear they will fight. Can anyone offer any help to correct this behavior and feel comfortable that the dogs would not fight over other things when I am not around?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 13, 2010, 12:19 PM

Well for starters, I would keep them kenneled while you are away.

Are you able to separate the cages? Put them in separate rooms?
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2010, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Labsrus View Post
    My daughter & I got our Labradors from the same litter, one male and one female. They are now 5 years old and have been kept together during the week (at the male dogs home) while we work, then the female goes home with my daughter. Since we got them, they have been kenneled during the day, in their own kennels since they were about 6 months old. The kennels are kept in the same room. In the last year 2 years the dogs have been left out of the kennels on some days and kept kenneled on others, while we work. In about the last year, as soon as I put the dogs in the kennels in the morning, and give them their Kongs with treats, the female starts to growl and then the male growls back and then they snarl, bark, and look toward one another like they are fighting. This goes on for about 10-30 minutes, then they are quiet the rest of the day (as I have observed this on days I have stayed home). I have tried reprimanding them, squirting with water, playing music, covering the kennels so they can't see one another, and nothing changes this behavior. I have always given them a Kong with treats inside when I put them in their kennels and wonder if this is a food aggression, as I used to feed them in the same area and the last few months have separated their food bowls as only one would eat at a time and their were some little growls, but never any further aggression. I have withheld the Kongs for a few days when they were kenneled, but the growling and snarling still goes on. I am now afraid to leave them out during the day for fear they will fight. Can anyone offer any help to correct this behavior and feel comfortable that the dogs would not fight over other things when I am not around??
    1. You are doing the right thing.

2. There are some other things you can try until that time that you finally feel confident to leave the dogs together.

a. It has been my experience, when I put my dogs in a kennel, that they normally turn around and face the door. I don't remember any of my dogs going in and facing the back of the kennel.

If that is true with your dogs, you might be able to take advantage of that behavior.

Since dominant dogs tend to feel challenged by dogs that face them, you might try putting the kennels back to back and coaxing the dogs to face towards their respective doors. That way they will be oriented with their backs towards each other and will hopefully not feel challenged.

b. You might try leaving the treats out as well.

2. You need to study yourself and your behavior towards the dogs and you need to study the dogs behavior towards you. This is to determine if the dogs are looking towards you as their pack leader or whether each one of them is noticing a void in leadership and is trying to establish itself as the leader of your pack.

a. Do your dogs pull you around when you take them on walks?
    b. Do they show aggression towards other people or animals in your presence?
    c. Do they show any aggession towards you around their food or toys?
    d. Does one of them attack or show aggression towards the other when you touch the other dog?

From what you've described, your dogs symptoms of aggression are mild at this time. But if unchecked, these symptoms can escalate and may even put other dogs and human beings at risk. So, to protect yourself and your dogs, you need to show them that you are the leader.

I recommend you read up on dog psychology. My favorite is Cesar Millan,

Sincerely,

De Maria
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2010, 02:04 PM

Are they neutered?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kennels vs. Houses [ 11 Answers ]

Lucky098 said in an answer Rather than hijack a thread I wanted to start a new one. Lucky, please show your proofs on this. My main objection is the blanket statement. I know of many kennels that are furnished better than the owners' houses. In many cases, kenneled dogs receive more...

My dog is growling at me [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 3 and a half year old Beagle, whom I have had since he was six months. He is house broken, and whines or sits by the door when he has to go out. Someone is always home and he is hardly ever crated. However, he likes to pee in the bathroom, I catch him in the act very often. I try to get to...

Cat carriers/kennels [ 3 Answers ]

Recently my brother moved out with his dog... My cat who had been scared to death of his dog had been living at my gramma's. But when my brother moved out, I started luring the cat back up to my house. Although she always used to be an outdoor cat, we now let her in the house, and she gets along...

Blazing star kennels [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm thinking of adopting from a place called Blazing Star kennels and I was looking on the site and it sounded pretty good and I thought that was great but everyone I want to know if this is a good place to get a puppy?

Growling [ 4 Answers ]

This seems to be a silly question, my 10 month old pup does not growl, even during tug of war games, cleaning ears, cutting nails, play fighting with other dogs. She does a lot of happy "talking" she's very very vocal, she's 3/4 lab 1/4 shepherd, is this normal? I'm with her 24/7, and not once has...

View more questions Search