Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SamiB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2010, 03:59 PM
    My cat was chased up a persimmon tree and was stuck. I'm not sure how long he was there
    My cat was chased up a persimmon tree and was stuck. I'm not sure how long he was there. When I got there he was terrified, panting, and vomiting. He is not vomiting anymore but he is lathargic. Do you think he ate a persimmon and is sick or just exhausted and tired? He will not eat or drink and is not in pain, he purrs when I pet him, but when I pick him up he just hangs limp in my arms. He opens his mouth to meow but nothing comes out.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2010, 10:40 PM

Hmm... had to look this one up as I'm unfamiliar with persimmon. But what I found is that the seeds can cause an intestinal obstruction and/or inflammation.

I don't know if the obstruction would be dangerous, pass on its own, etc. but I think I'd at least call the vet and see if he needs to go in.

Is he still having problems? Since no one has answered this and it's late (well, it's late here), you could trying calling the kitty ER and see if they'll tell you anything over the phone, like at least whether it can wait until tomorrow. If so, then tomorrow you could call the vet.

It does also occur to me that he got hurt by whatever chased him, before he ever went up the tree.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 13, 2010, 03:28 PM

As morgaine said, call a vet if he's still acting off and see if they have any advice.

It's also possible that he was just terrified and stressed and worked himself up to the point where he made himself sick. He's just happy to be down and safe and with you and wants to do nothing but cuddle and rest.

If you're worried, it's always best to at least call a vet and ask for advice.
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2010, 02:19 AM

Hmm, wondering what happened...

It is possible he was just terrified and stress, but if that were the case, he should be over it by this point in time. If he's back to normal, that's probably what it was. But if he's still acting like this, especially if he's still not eating, then get him into a vet.

And we feel better when you post back to say what happened.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2010, 04:49 AM

Hello s:

I certainly don't think he ate a persimmon... He wasn't up there for a snack...

excon
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2010, 05:07 AM

I don't have any idea what a persimmon is, but a cat could eat all sorts of things. And if he was there for a while and got over his fright - sure, he might start chomping on plants.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2010, 05:09 AM

Hello m:

I suppose anything is possible, but a persimmon is a fruit. I've NEVER seen a cat eat fruit.

excon
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 14, 2010, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello m:

I suppose anything is possible, but a persimmon is a fruit. I've NEVER seen a cat eat fruit.

excon
    I have. One of my kitties even loves lemon squares.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 14, 2010, 03:52 PM

A persimmon is very tart, will make your cheeks cave in.
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2010, 11:15 PM

Does it make you raise an eyebrow and your eye twitch? I guess that doesn't sound much like something a cat would eat, but they could munch on the flowers/leaves as well.

(I did say I knew nothing about permissions. ;))

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat had 2 kittens they are 1 day old how long before my cat go's outside [ 7 Answers ]

My cat has just has 2 beautiful kittens she has been with them since she had them but she has come downstairs and seems to want to go outside they are just over 1 day old and both seem fine but I don't want my cat to leave them for to long. I'm not sure if she wanted to go to the litter tray as I...

Girls kitten stuck on the tree [ 1 Answers ]

In the beginning of a movie comedy, a man was asked by a girl to help get her kitten of a tree. What movie was that?

How long can I be chased for a debt [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently received a letter for debt collections company about a bill for a mobile phone account I had about 12 years ago, but as far as I know I didn't owe them anything. Are they allowed to do this after so many years? They say I owe £36.00. Can anyone help, as I am getting fed up getting...

How long can you be chased for a dept. [ 1 Answers ]

Can a company come after you 10 years after the alleged non payment?

View more questions Search