Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    makino31 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2006, 04:49 PM
    Blocking number
    I have a razor and I just wantd to know how to block my number for a call and unblock.
    It was something like *80... I'm not sure. What is it?
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 27, 2006, 05:00 PM
    *67 is used to block ids on a per call basis
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2006, 07:56 PM
    Good old *67.

It works on a per call basis and it blocks out your id to the person you are calling.

If you don't dial *67 before the number, the receiver WILL be able to see your id information.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 27, 2006, 07:58 PM
    Just curious, why would you want to block the number?
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2006, 08:16 PM
    Well, I can't speak for makino31, but I can speak from personal experience.

1) If you need to call someone but they won't pick up if they see it is from you
    2) If you want to call someone that you have to, but you do NOT want them to have your contact information number.

Dec 27, 2006, 08:27 PM
    1) If someone doesn't want to talk to you, why would you call them? If I were dodging calls from someone I would not pick up any calls from an unidentified number. In fact, I currently don't. I let the answering machine pick up such calls. If its someone I want to talk to, I'll grab it whjen they leave a message or call them right back.

2) If you are calling someone why would you not want them to have your contact info? While there may be a very few instances where that might apply, for the most part it shouldn't.
    mick_alex Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 02:39 PM
    ScottGem, in México if you're receiving a long distance call, part of the charge of the call will be billed to you. Due to this many people decide not to answer based on the calling party, even when who is calling is some one they don't dislike. That would be a reason to block the calling ID.

Jan 2, 2007, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mick_alex
    ScottGem, in México if you're receiving a long distance call, part of the charge of the call will be billed to you. Due to this many people decide not to answer based on the calling party, even when who is calling is some one they don't dislike. That would be a reason to block the calling ID.
    You missed my point Mick. I don't dispute what you said, in the US, most carriers charge you for the call whether you make it or someone calls you. So, of course you aren't going to accept calls from people you don't want to talk to. But how would blocking the callerID help that. Most people are not going to accept a call they will be charged for unless they recognize the number. So if its blocked they still won't answer it.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2007, 05:57 PM
    I too have used the *67.

Scott I will tell you exactly why I use it.

If somebody calls me and I do not know who it is. I want to find out. What I do is call back and use the *67 so they do not know it is me calling back.

Joe

Jan 2, 2007, 06:13 PM
    And what if they won't pick it up when you call? I'm not saying there is no reason to use it. I'm just saying its pretty rare.
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2007, 06:18 PM
    It is not rare for me personally to use it. I take it, I am not the only one. For you Scott, maybe you do not use it, but other people might rely on it more often. Another thing is, that there are some places you call even if you *69 it to block it, it will still show up. For example: Operator, police, but I think happens with some businesses as well, you know the ones with money and technology.

Joe

Jan 2, 2007, 07:27 PM
    How many times have you used it in the last week? How many times when you used it, did they pick up?
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Last week I think I used it twice. When I did not use it they did not pick up. Right after I used it, guess what. Like magic they answer. Hmmmm.

Jan 3, 2007, 06:14 AM
    Well 2 times in a week qualifies as rare for me and I hardly use my cell. But it really surprises me that people would pick up. Were you calling a cell or a landline? I almost never answer a cell call from an unknown or blocked # and rarely do I answer landline calls like that. If someone wants to talk to me, they can leave a message if I don't pick up. Most of the people I've talked to about it feel similarly.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2007, 06:18 AM
    That's funny 'cause I don't even have the caller ID on my landline. I'll pick up the phone when I want, I'm not worried about who the caller is, ever. God forbid if it's telemarketing though, they'll have me off their list ASAP after a few moments with me.
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2007, 10:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    1) If someone doesn't want to talk to you, why would you call them? If I were dodging calls from someone I would not pick up any calls from an unidentified number. In fact, I currently don't. I let the answering machine pick up such calls. If its someone I want to talk to, I'll grab it whjen they leave a message or call them right back.

2) If you are calling someone why would you not want them to have your contact info? While there may be a very few instances where that might apply, for the most part it shouldn't.

1) Good points. But you can be surprised. You might not pick up from Private Name/Number, but others do.

2) Let me give you a hypothetical situation.

There is this person who I don' want to know my number. So I change it. But if I call people, then they ill have my number. Let's say I want to call a restaurant to make reservations. If I don't do *67, they will see my number if they have caller ID. And I don't want my number floating out to them.

I barely ever use *67, but sometimes I do. Good cheap feature.

Jan 13, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    2) Let me give you a hypothetical situation.

There is this person who I don’ want to know my number. So I change it. But if I call people, then they ill have my number. Let’s say I want to call a restaurant to make reservations. If I don’t do *67, they will see my number if they have caller ID. And I don’t want my number floating out to them.

I barely ever use *67, but sometimes I do. Good cheap feature.
    OK, let me give you the restaurant's side of this. Lets say, they had a night where they received several reservations from blocked numbers. Comes dinner time, and the reservations don't show. And they have turned away other reservations and walkins because they thought they had a full house. So the restaurant now has a policy of not accepting reservations from blocked numbers.

I know of at least 2 pizza places that will not accept orders from blocked numbers, because of prank orders.
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2007, 08:42 PM
    Good points Scott.

But most restaurants don't.

I rarely use the feature, but it is a good feature to have around.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jan 14, 2007, 05:39 AM
    I rarely use CallerID Blocking (i.e. 1 or 2 times per 3 month period) but when I do it is usually when I'm calling one of those 800/888 numbers for a business which unbeknown to me turns out to be outsourced to a telemarketing company. i.e. you see product X advertised somewhere. You call the number associated with product X thinking that you're calling the company that made product X. But instead it turns out to be a telemarketing company that was outsourced product X advertisements/marketing. Once this telemarketing company captures my number then unfortunately they feel free to resell my valid number for other telemarketing purposes. I do not want them to see my number and resell it so that I can be bombarded by more telemarketers.

Jan 14, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cajalat
    is usually when I'm calling one of those 800/888 numbers for a business which unbeknown to me turns out to be outsourced to a telemarketing company
    Now that IS a valid reason.

But more and more businesses are refusing to accept blocked calls.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Mental Block [ 2 Answers ]

What's up, Im a Sophomore in high school, and I'm in high jump right now and the state tourny is right around the corner, does anybody know how I can go just 3 or 4 more inchees higher. I have been going 6 3 all year but there is a mental block after that, what are some tips for me to get that...

Firewall block [ 2 Answers ]

Can I block a computer user from accessing a specific website if I have a firewall conrol panel?

Block Sink? [ 2 Answers ]

Help? I think I got a blocked sink or a blocked air vent somewhere. Water just won't go down the kitchen sink but it will from the bath tub or toilet. I have dismantle the U trap under the sink and inserted a rod as far as it would go , water did not moved. Also if I push with a power...

New kid on the block [ 11 Answers ]

I have been asked to come over here and check this site out by one of you, and so I am here. Some of you know me, some don't. I am not here to argue with anyone. I don't want to banter or name call or any of the other childish things I've experienced on other sites such as this. I love our Lord...

Vent, Block or What? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, seeking advise on bathroom drain problem for my old P&B home. Tub and toilet back up and drain slowly. To date, I've tried unblocking chemicles, pulled the toilet and ran a heavy duty tape over 30' down the line. I also rain small snake down sink and tub. The kitchen and laundry both drain...

View more questions Search