Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKoester Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2010, 11:13 AM
    Can I use 1/2" styrofoam on the inside wall studs before drywalling?
    Spacing out with blue 1/2" styrofoam
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Sep 12, 2010, 02:58 PM

I don't see why not. It may provide some sound insulation. Just be sure about the spacing for doorways and trim since it will be thicker.
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Sep 12, 2010, 04:08 PM

Why not between the studs?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2010, 05:44 PM
    Styrofoam is a compressible material and you might have tiling issues down the road. If you need to space out-Furring? Rip some 1/2 plywood and use that. You can put Styrofaom between the studs and it will reduce noise migration but if you have a full wall cavity, use R-13 fiberglass.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Sep 15, 2010, 03:46 AM

Inside the studs will work but you will have to work around any electrical running through the walls.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Sep 18, 2010, 08:16 PM

Why are you using the Styrofoam? We might be able to recommend better materials.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insulating and drywalling CMU (cement block) wall [ 2 Answers ]

What's the best way to insulate and drywall a cement block wall (above grade)? It has to be flush to the wall. We're thinking using the rigid sheet insulation to keep the assembly thin. The wall is about 12 x 8. Furr the wall? Metal or wood furrs? Glue? Screws? We're not sure how to work with...

Installing in-wall speakers, need to reconfigure studs [ 12 Answers ]

We are hanging a flat TV on the wall and installing in-wall speakers around it. The problem is that we run into studs where we want to put the speakers. It may seem like overkill to tear into a wall to get the speakers where we want, but I want this to look right and am willing to make the...

How to hang doors when wall has metal studs [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just bought a house with a partially finished basement. The interior walls are metal studs. I need to hang doors in a couple of these walls. I believe I need to frame out the opening with wood and hang the door using self-tapping screws (from some of the other questions I've seen answered...

Finding wall studs [ 1 Answers ]

What is the easiest way to locate wall studs?

How do I Installing black pipe through wall studs [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing black pipe for a gas heater in my garage. At this point everything is roughed in, no installation on sheetrock. Because of the way it is build I would like to install black pipe across the back of the garage approximately 40 ft. How do I get 10 foot sections into the wall studs...

View more questions Search