Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mariela_r88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2006, 03:55 PM
    Change of a minor last name
    Hi, I want to change my daughter's last name, I'm a single mom but the father signed papers, so she has his last name (she has 1 month), but the guy and me not even talk, so I don't know what do I need to change her last name, since he doesn't even care about my daughter and I'm afraid someday he'll come and try to take away my daughter from me, or something, when I was at the hospital having my baby he showed up and told me that the baby was going to have his last name or he was going to do something to us, and I was afraid and I accepted, but a friend told me a few days ago that he couldn't do that.. please help me to find out how to change her last name.
    Thanks
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2006, 07:42 PM
    Has he ever gone to court to get custody?

If not, then he has NO legal standing at all and you can very much change your child's last name.

If he wants to see his kid, he will first have to prove he is the father by going to court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2006, 07:51 PM
    First merely changing the last name does not change his right to custody.

When you have a child with someone, even if they are not listed on the birth certificate, they still have legal rights.

So if you are not married to him, you need to file for custody of the child, because until you go to court and get legal custody the father has as much right to the child as you do.

If there is a doubt that he is the father, you can ask for a DNA test.

So you need to go to court, get legal custody, work out visitation if he wants it, and arrange for him to start paying child support,

Just changing a name has no bearing on cusody at all.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 27, 2006, 07:51 PM
    Having his last name doesn't give him any right to take your daughter. Nor does changing the name take that right away. He would have to take you to court to obtain custody. Unless he can prove you an unfit parent, that's unlikely. I'm not sure you need to file for legal custody since you already have custody. He would need to go to court to gain custody.

A person can use any name they want as long as there is no intent to defraud. But if you want to change the birth certificate, you will have to file a petititon in court. Its fairly simple and a family court clerk should be able to show you how.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Force minor out of house [ 32 Answers ]

What can I do to get my 14 year old daughter out of my house if she refuses to listen to me and I feel as though I will cause her bodily harm

Minor basement flooding [ 2 Answers ]

Tonight we had a very bad rainstorm, and my basement window which is one of those below ground ones, allowed for some water to seep into my home. It basically hugged the walls and then puddled onto my carpeted basement room. I noticed it pretty quickly so was able to move furniture and electrical...

Minor Dating Issue [ 18 Answers ]

Hey, I'm Bobby from Nebraska, new on here. A minor dating issue, some mixed signals perhaps. Here goes, see what you think. I really liked this girl I went to college with and when we bumped into each other at a conference about 2months ago I asked her out. So we go out a few times and I think...

Theft by a minor, HELP [ 5 Answers ]

Im 17 and about a year ago I was working at Sheetz, the convience store. I was having money problems at the time and car problems. Another employee asked me if I wanted to make some extra money. I was excited and said yes. A couple days later he explained it to me how it worked. Basically when a...

View more questions Search