Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MomWontGiveUp Posts: 179, Reputation: 9

Sep 12, 2010, 09:04 AM
    My ex made an unauthorized address change on an account he is not a party to
    I received a letter in the mail that the address to my DD's UTTMA custodial account that I opened for her had been changed. The "old" address was mine and the "new" address was my ex's.

I've talked with the bank and they are not sure how this happened because I am legally the only person authorized to make any changes or transactions on the account. Not even my DD is allowed to make transactions. It was opened several years ago by me so that I could deposit funds my DD inherited from my father. I later moved those funds to a college fund with my broker (Thank God!) so there was only a small balance remaining in the account.

What concerns me is that if my ex was able to wiggle his way with the bank to change the address on the account, what other breaches of my security will he attempt or accomplish?

Is this considered identity theft if he used my personal information (and passed security questions) in order to make the change on the account?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 12, 2010, 09:08 AM

No, ID theft is if he pretended to be you, or had someone pretend to be you.

Merely giving their address to the bank and having them change an address

The bank broke bank rules by allowing someone else access to it.

Sep 12, 2010, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    no, ID theft is if he pretended to be you, or had someone pretend to be you.

Merely giving their address to the bank and having them change an address

The bank broke bank rules by allowing someone else access to it.
    Chuck - the bank is adamant that they would not allow him or my daughter to make the changes. They won't allow address changes over the phone so the customer must either come into the bank to make the request or do it online.

If he came into the bank, he'd have to have someone pose as me (but then I'd think that person would need ID). The only access online to this account is through MY main account so if he did it online, then he was able to hack my passwords and answer security questions.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 13, 2010, 11:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MomWontGiveUp View Post
    The only access online to this account is through MY main account so if he did it online, then he was able to hack my passwords and answer security questions.

I'm pretty sure I could guess my wife's security question, especially if it's one of the canned questions that most financial institutions use. I certainly hope you have changed both your password and the security question to something he couldn't guess.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 13, 2010, 11:53 AM

There are three possibilities here:

1) The bank allowed the info to be changed without following security procedures
    2) He used false ID to have someone pretend to be you to effect the change
    3) He managed to guess your security info to make the change online

I'm not sure you will be able to prove what happened. But, since it was changed to his address, you might be able to prove that he made the change without permission.

Sep 13, 2010, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    There are three possibilities here:

1) The bank allowed the info to be changed without following security procedures
    2) He used false ID to have someone pretend to be you to effect the change
    3) He managed to guess your security info to make the change online

I'm not sure you will be able to prove what happened. But, since it was changed to his address, you might be able to prove that he made the change without permission.
    Thanks Scott. The 4th possibility (which is what happened) is that ex brought DD into the bank to open another account and her profile information attached to this account, even though it shouldn't have without my authorization.

The positive outcome of this is the realization of just how easy it would be for anyone's ex (or other person who has personal information) to make changes or access an account without permission.

I've now added additional passwords and used security questions that he would have no knowledge of the answers.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 14, 2010, 05:16 AM

Who is DD?

It seems that this was not a deliberate act by the ex, but a mistake by the bank.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 14, 2010, 05:40 AM

DD= "Double D," I bet. As in 36DD.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Movie made in 1990s/early 2000s party teens 1 dies 1 name preston? [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for a movie made in 1990s or early 2000s about a group of teens. It was a substance abuse theme and one of the characters dies. One of the characters name is preston. Anyone know the movie?

Providing name address, tele. Number to 3rd party a violation? [ 32 Answers ]

Is it a violation of the privacy act if an attorney you had retained has a secretary/daughter that give my name, address, and telephone number to a 3rd. Party and told them to bill me instead of the attorney that had requested the medical records for those copies? I then fired the attorney for...

What do I do next? Made out at a party now want him to be mine! [ 2 Answers ]

I went to a small gathering on the weekend and my crush was there. We all had a few drinks, and later that night I found myself making out with him upstairs and touching. Later on that night as we walked home he asked me if I liked him I said yes. He tells me a few minutes later he was planning on...

Unauthorized Charge on card and release of private information to a third party [ 1 Answers ]

I have been out of work due to illenss and my storage unit was in arrears, when I called to see how much I owed I was told the account was current I asked how and she said it was paid for on my credit card, I told the rep that I did not have a credit card and she looked it up and said it was the...

Excel: change relative address to absolute address [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, In Excel spreadsheet, how to change relative address to absolute address for many cells at same time? I know how to use F4 to do the change, but it is not an option when I have to deal with the addresses in a 150 row x 50 column table. Thanks, Wei

View more questions Search