Sometimes.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 12, 2010, 05:08 AM

Why are you asking?
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Sep 12, 2010, 04:43 PM
    Makes sense that they would, it would be a lot cheaper if everybody believed the (witness protection) person was dead, rather than the cost of keeping them alive, but secret.

HowStuffWorks "How Witness Protection Works"
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 12, 2010, 05:42 PM

Normally no, most people in the witness protection program are just other criminals who turn evidence against others they are working with or for.

They even have to serve prison time ( under other names) in specific federal prisons.

So no most just go away.

Also they can't be "dead" they have to be physcially in court and testify, they will sit on the witness seat in front of the person they are testifying against. So they know they are alive and know they are testify against them.

The "deaths" are good for TV since the witness with a new ID in real life just serves a few years in prison before going to a new life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Witness protection program [ 5 Answers ]

Hi My parents were in in witness protection program 30 yrs ago. My name was changed.I located my original birth certificate. I would like to know if I can get my social sercurity number that went with it. I'm trying to get a passport. I lost my birth certificate wit the name I have now. I...

Crime to expose identity of witness in federal witness protection program? [ 6 Answers ]

Can someone cite me to the statute that makes exposing identity of witness in federal witness protection program a crime?

Witness Protection Program [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, well I understand what the Witness Protection system is for and all and how it works, but what is the most common reason for a person to become part of this program? Because I am writing a paper on the program and I doint know what type of situation I should write about. Please help me QUICK....

Witness Protection Program [ 6 Answers ]

Where is the complete info on the Witness Protection Program? I had it once and now all I get are goofy sappy articles of how good the program is, or what a tragic faliure it can be if someone dosen't want to be in it. Please help me! Concerned Mother :-) To tell you the truth I think the FEDS are...

Witness protection program [ 8 Answers ]

Just searching for info. On Witness Protection. If someone knew they were entering the Witness Protection Program, would they be allowed to let their parents know that they were leaving for a long time, but would be OK, or something along those lines? Or, would it be more like one day they were...

View more questions Search