Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Sep 11, 2010, 06:27 PM
    Outdoor water heater
    Hi guys thanks in advance for looking I am thinking of moving my water heater outside. I would like to replace my old water heater but due to space constraints in its existing location. Installing a larger one there is out of the question. I have considered the need for an enclosure ptobably stick built on a concrete slab (insulated of course ) and the need for a junction box and a service discoonect. My primary concern would be pipes freezing in the winter. The ideal location would require about a 10 - 15 ft run of pipe through the crawl space to the exterior of the home could these pipes just be insulated and be good to go I live in sc where the temps are generally mild but it does occasionally hit the upper teens. Any advice or opinions would be apprecited

Thanks,ac
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 06:39 PM

Considering the time and money you are going to throw at this fix I'd consider a tankless on demand heater. They are no bigger than a suitcase and can hang on a wall. Electric are not vented but gas and propane require venting. Some are so efficient they vent with 2" pvc. These also qualify for a big energy credit on your income tax bill. -:- Navien America -:-
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 07:48 PM
    Agree with Bob. You can purchase Rinnai Tankless Heater with Exterior Enclosure that hides all pipes inside. It looks nice and clean. See the enclosed photos...
    Attached Images

Sep 12, 2010, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the idea guys, As far as cost goes I already have all materials on hand execpt the water heater and the service disconnect just a matter of building it. Im still considering the tankless idea but I really don't know that much about them( I am readiing and learning ) what is ya'lls opinion of traditional tank style water heaters outdoors.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 12, 2010, 08:13 AM

what is ya'lls opinion of traditional tank style water heaters outdoors.
    It's simply not good practice to install a water heater out in the elements in a climate where the temperature can drop below freezing. Regards, Tom

Sep 12, 2010, 08:17 AM

Thanks Ill post back and let you know what I figure out.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 12, 2010, 08:20 AM

Just noticing: since you have elec. Water heater then I think conventional water heater is better choice than tankless. Tankless / electric draws way too much power.

Tom is right on with his previous comment. If you really want to relocate your water heater to the outside than build a good enclosure for it using at least 2x4 walls ( if not 2 x 6 ), and insulate walls and door to minimize loss of heat.

Sep 12, 2010, 08:30 AM

Thanks the enclosure would have 2x4 walls insulated with r19 and shingle roof probably insulate that with r19 as well exterior would be osb with vinyl over door insulate on inside with foam panel most likely.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 12, 2010, 09:03 AM
    Don't forget to Armoflex(see image) your piping. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Sep 12, 2010, 09:11 AM

Thanks for all the help guys Ill post back in a couple of weeks and let you how it goes
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 12, 2010, 02:30 PM

I'd also wrap all exposed pipe with heat tape.

Or;

Since you moving the heater further away (presumably) from the point of use it will take longer for the hot water to get. I would consider a recirculation pump and line. That will not only give the instant hot water it will keep the output water line from freezing. Still have to wrap the input water line with heat tape.

Sep 12, 2010, 02:57 PM

Thanks I will keep that in mind
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 12, 2010, 07:44 PM

If you go with a tankless heater consult a Rinnai dealer or another brand for compatibility with a recirc pump.
    dwilliamssc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2012, 05:57 AM
    Did you move your water heater outside and how is it working? What did you do about the building, etc.. Any problems as far as the weather?
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 11, 2012, 06:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwilliamssc View Post
    Did you move your water heater outside and how is it working? What did you do about the building, etc...? Any problems as far as the weather?
    Hi dwiliamssc and welcome to The Plumbing Page at AskMeHelpDesk.com You are responding to a 2 old dead thread. Please check the date before you post. Thanks, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater leak (cold side only) where the nipple meets the water heater [ 9 Answers ]

I just bought a water heater and completely installed it. When I turned on the water supply, a very very very slow drip can be observed where the cold water nipple screws into the water heater. I shut off the water, relieved the pressure and unscrewed the nipple. I then re-apply the teflon tape...

Tankless water heater versus regular water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know basic water heater tank maintenance

Connecting space heater to outdoor propane tank [ 1 Answers ]

Can a portable space heater designed to connect to a 100lbs. Propane tank be connected to a feed from an external 250 gallon propane tank? The non-working furnace has a feed from the 250 gal tank that I would like to tap into. Is this possible? Is it safe?

Enclosing an outdoor water heater [ 9 Answers ]

Does anyone now the best way to enclose an 80 gallon water heater to keep the rain off but still have access to it? It will be sitting on a concrete slab next to brick wall of the house. Thanks in advance, Tawnya

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

View more questions Search