Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2010, 09:13 AM
    Diamond Ring Markings 9CT SIG SIL ?
    Can anyone help me decypher these markings... I'm guessing the 9CT means 9 karat gold, and the SIL is silver, but what is SIG?

Attached is a photo of the markings. The top of the ring is silver and the band is gold set with a single diamond.

The ring was my great, great grandmothers and is over 100 years old if that matters at all.

Any help appreciated, thanks!
    Attached Images

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 11, 2010, 10:06 AM

SIG SIL means signature silver, shaz. Probably l00 or so years ago that was a way of defining pure silver without additives. Now silver, in some countries is diluted and/or combined with other metals such as nickel. Yes, 9ct is the gold weight or content. Now you see it as 9kt.

Tick
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2010, 10:11 AM

Ooooh thank you Tick!

It's not like I'm ever going to sell it, was just curious, it's been puzzling me for ages and Google was no help.

I took it to the jewelers the be cleaned a while back but forgot to ask what they meant. Bad news was they told me nearly all of the claws need to be redone and at about $50 each it's going to take a while. I wear it when I go out, but around the house it's tucked away in the safe.
    barbaraanne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2012, 12:31 AM
    Hi there,
    I am so pleased to find your website and this question.
    I have a bangle marked: "9ct SILLINED" followed by another weird marking that looks like a 14 only sidways. It reminds me of what was once called pink gold.
    The bangle is old and is hollow tubular like bangle.
    Q. Is it 9ct gold. Or 9ct. Rolled gold over silver?
    I would really appreciate any input anyone has.
    Thank you.
    Barbara
    [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Meaning of markings on gold and diamond ring. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a gold and diamond ring with the following symbols on the underside. 150 14k Ultra Gem Can anyone tell me what these markings mean? Thanks

Solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight? [ 11 Answers ]

Which dioamond ring should I buy a solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight?

Diamond ring markings [ 1 Answers ]

The markings on the underside of my rings reads, c43038, 18k, 707, 2500, a. napalo. Can anyone tell me what all the markings and numbers respresent?

Ring markings [ 1 Answers ]

I broght a ring and wanted to know what the marking on it mean,markings are 18k GP. I know that 18k means 18 karet but not sure on GP.I think the P is something to do with the diamond.am I right? The ring also has an amethyst,could it be to do with that?

View more questions Search