Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Karadee314 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2010, 10:12 AM
    My cat attacked my new puppy
    My cat of 2 attacked my new puppy.. they are now on different floors... It was a bad attack I ended up steppingin to separate them and got injured pretty bad. HELP HELP HELP
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 10, 2010, 10:33 AM

New puppies are boisterous and nippy. Could be he expected your cat to play fight and got more then he/she bargained for. It doesn't mean they can't get along. Just keep them separated for a day or so and then take the time to monitor the situation if you want harmony in your household.

Tick

Sep 10, 2010, 10:42 AM
    My cat FREAKED out... it was BAD.. I needed stitches... BAD I tell you bad... I do have them separated.. and we let them see each other through the screen door the dog being outside... and her hair raised.. We also have a boy cat and he will be fine.. you can tell. I just fear for the safety of the dog!!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 10, 2010, 10:58 AM

I believe you, I never want to see another cat fight again as long as I live ! Then, they will have to be separated permanently, or get rid of one of them.

Tick
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 10, 2010, 01:18 PM

Some cats just do NOT like dogs. It could be that she had a bad experience with one. It could also be that she just doesn't like the smell or energy level, or any number of things.

If things are that bad, and you can't get them to settle down, then you really only have two options. Either you spend the rest of their lives making sure they're never in the same room, or you rehome one of them.
    lJ. Posts: 446, Reputation: 21

Sep 10, 2010, 04:48 PM

When I introduced a new pet into my family, the vet actually gave us some helpful information on how to do it. I forgot some of them details, maybe your vet would have similar advice, but we first very slowly let them be in a room together and smell each other, and they hissed a bit, but we were supposed to leave them alone a little keeping an eye on them, so they can realize they are not a threat to one another. They got only great after a few days of adjustment. How was your dog injured? I hope he is okay, and hope it works out, good luck! What breed are the cat and dog, I ask because that would help understand their behavoir a bit, although this situation could easily occur regardless of the breed. Have they incountered each other since this incident?

Sep 11, 2010, 02:03 PM
    Vet said to slowly ease them into things.. have the cats roam the house when the dog is not here... which helps them get used to the smell of the dog. Then put dog in crate where he is protected and let cats and dog in same room... do it a few times and see what happens...
    I will keep you posted!! Wish me luck and pray!! :rolleyes:
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 11, 2010, 04:36 PM

Do you know if your cat has any past experience with dogs?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2010, 06:25 PM

Good luck. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will my cat get along with a puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old male cat who we all love lots , but we want a puppy boxer , is there any chance they would get along. Any advice

Cat Attacked Dog [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, My 11 month old cat, just gave birth to 4 kittens almost 3 three weeks ago. Just the other day she attacked my 11 year old dog(terri-poo - small breed). We thought maybe something startled her but then yesterday she did the same thing. Just came out of no where and attacked a sleeping dog....

Puppy and 4 yr old cat, Help! [ 10 Answers ]

Hello I have a 4 yr old cat, he is a long haired tabby mix. He is the most amazing cat in the world. Never bites, hisses or get into trouble. He loves being around people, cuddles and has never had an accident since day 1. We recently got a puppy about a month and a half ago. He is a lab...

My cat and puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I have an eleven month old male cat will he get along with my new 9week old female puppy

View more questions Search