Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmalin78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2010, 08:41 AM
    Fastest way to become a licensed counselor in California
    I want to know the fastest way to become a licensed family or social or mental health counselor in California. What are the requirements and how much will it cost and how much time will it take?

Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2010, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mmalin78 View Post
    I want to know the fastest way to become a licensed family or social or mental health counselor in California.
    Hello m:

Those are very generic terms. None of THOSE require a license. But, if you want to become psychologist or a psychiatrist, that'll take some training...

excon
    dhuber Posts: 73, Reputation: 21

Oct 21, 2010, 04:25 PM
    I know you are not in Maryland but offering this in case people in your state don't respond. I am a therapist in MD. You can not practice mental health unless you have a Master's Degree, pass a national test, have 2000 hours of experience and receive your status from the State. Schools can run about $4000 a year to $20.000 but you can get loans for that. It is better to pay a couple hundred dollars a month for loans than to do something you hate. Also unlike those making minimum wage a therapist here even right out of school makes over $35000 a year. School would take 6 years full time or do what I did. Get a job better with each degree and go part time.

Now counselors have less education and make less m0oney but still more than minimum wage. A counselor has to be supervised so they can do this with a hospital or some other entity. They have between a AA and a BA but make about $25,000. You can do these while you are going to graduate school and get some real marketable experience. This would take about 4 years. You could work at an addictions program after 2.

A license is gotten after you get all your education and your experience. The marriage and family people have their own and the addictions field has their own. But the best is the mental health license since you can do everything! I am in private practice and I don't need anyone. My business brings me in about $60000. And I have a great schedule.

Follow your heart but you can have a steady career helping people and you won't go broke getting it. You can find jobs all the way through your education you just upgrade with each degree. Hope this was helpful

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broker Referral fee to Buyer, also Licensed- California [ 2 Answers ]

I am a real estate agent that represents a bank on a foreclosure in Cali. A buyer who is also a licensed agent wanted me to represent her. She asked me for a referral fee to her broker. I agreed to it to get the property sold. My broker signed a referral fee agreement with her broker. When the...

Can't afford a counselor! [ 2 Answers ]

People keep saying that the solution to relationship problems is seeking professional counsel. I can't afford even $50 a hour. (Not that you could find a good one for that.) There has to be another way. Any ideas? Church isn't one. He won't go there.

Can I sue counselor? [ 9 Answers ]

Because a family member is in counseling, It was also necessary for me to have a session with the counselor and I paid the fee. Recently, I contacted the counselor by e-mail and asked if he would be willing to meet again with a young family member who needed serious help with this ongoing family...

View more questions Search