Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mahdat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2010, 12:38 AM
    A good wood for doors
    Hello!
    I am thinking of making sliding folding doors to create a separate study space when needed. Any suggestions on the kind of wood I could use? I was thinking of rubber wood or sycamore. I live in a city with a humid climate (Mumbai!) and am close to the sea.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2010, 12:54 AM
    Hi, Mahdat!

What do you mean by "sliding folding doors", please? For instance, would they be attached to a wall or something that is portable?

Thanks!

Sep 10, 2010, 01:01 AM

Hi Clough
    Thanks for responding. The door would fold like an accordion when slid to open out the space and the panels would all fold up to one side. Yes the end panel will be attached to a wall and the tracking mechanism will on top (a concrete beam on the ceiling).
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2010, 01:15 AM
    Now, I live in the United States. We don't necessarily have the same kinds of wood that you do that are readily available here.

Do you have treated lumber there?

Thanks!

Sep 11, 2010, 10:24 AM
    Yes we do have treated lumber. We do have American woods as well which are very expensive! I am not sure whether I will get the right wood so it is a bit frustrating! We have Malaysian rubber wood, white cedar and pine. (India is famous for its teak but that would be too heavy I think). The alternative is a laminate on plywood which is what most people use for partitions. Really need to think about this one. Thank you for responding to my query. I really appreciate that!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing bypass shower doors and the shwer walls aren't plumb so doors have gaps [ 2 Answers ]

Cannot adjust shower doors to align correctly because shower walls aren't plumb... the shower bypass doors/rails etc are level and plumb but they leave gaps because the wall of the shower isn't plumb... any way to correct that enough to align the doors? Out of plumb appx 1/8 " on both sides. ...

Installing bypass shower doors and the shwer walls aren't plumb so doors have gaps [ 0 Answers ]

Cannot adjust shower doors to align correctly because shower walls aren't plumb... the shower bypass doors are level and plumb but they leave gaps because the wall of the shower isn't plumb... any way to correct that enough to align the doors? Out of plumb appx 1/8 " on both sides.

How do I remove stain from wood doors [ 1 Answers ]

I have stained a solid pine fir door with mimawax stain and have blotches. How do I even out my on these doors?

Building kitchen cabinets - what would be a good wood? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all - I will be building kitchen cabinets soon and am wondering what would be a good wood choice. I will be using the wood for the face frames, raised panel doors, and panels for exposed sides of the cabinets. I am also going to build a bench using the same wood fro the mud room which is off...

Waterproofing and protecting exterior wood doors [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know if I can use Thompsons waterproofer/tinted wood protector on new wood doors? My home is cedar shake and I'd like a natural looking finish on the porch doors?. they will never get wet as they are protected by a 4' porch.:)

View more questions Search