Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61

Dec 27, 2006, 10:39 AM
    Scared of college! Looking to start online
    As some of you know I am in Afghanistan working with the US military. I have a lot of time on my hands, and I really want to get a better education.

I am 24, almost 25. Have taken one college class and well really I am scared of college! It was never something my parents talked about or encouraged, but I have this desire to live the college life, study and write papers,. lol. I enjoyed High school very much, all except math. And as long as I applied myself I did well enough, but a lot of the time I lost focus and wouldn't do homework etc.

Well I want to get over this fear of college! I feel like I just don't know how to enroll, and taking those placement tests scare me cause I know my education level is lacking... its embarrassing!

I am thinking of taking some online courses, just the basic stuff but it seems as though all the colleges I have been looking at want you to enroll into a 2 or 4 year program. College just right out confuses me, but I know once I just get over the hurdle of applying and get the tests done I will enjoy it and I think it will really make me happy to study and be challenged again.

So has anyone else dealt with this fear, or decided to go to college later in life? I hear about older people going back to college and stuff, but I really want to try and go to a university once I get back to the states. Does 24 seem too old to go to a university as a freshman/sophmore?

What is the best way to choose a college to attend online? I am still very undecided on what to study as a major... but I am leaning towards literature, photography or something with housing design-like interior design or even architechtural(SP).

I have the military GI bill, and I want an accredited college so that whatever classes I do take will transfer...

I am just so frustrated with what to do... I would appreciate any advice, encouragement and ideas!

Thank You for your time
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 27, 2006, 10:53 AM
    Oh, S2tp, college scared me too at first. I went back at the age of 39, some of my friends went back at the age of 45, so you are never too old.

It is simple really, just go to the school of your choice and make an appointment with an advisor. You don't have to declare a major right away (that would be the 2 - 4 year program).

The placement test is simple really. The one I took was called a COMPASS test. It was computerized and you could take all the time you need. It is to place you in certain courses, such as the maths and englishes. If you are really good, then you will test out of some of those courses. I tested out of all of my englishes, but had to remediate in algebra.

College is a blast, I really love it. I am already having withdrawals and I still have a year and a half to go.
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61

Dec 27, 2006, 11:16 AM
    Thank you J_9

Yeah I hear about people going well into their 60's and 80's even...

I guess I just feel like I am behind the curve. I hate when I spell words wrong, or don't know things that I should know... Throughout school I felt that way. I didn't know how to read a standard clock until I was like 12 or something, and I didn't get that whole 'i before e except after c' thing until high school. I try to hide my lack of education as much as I can, but someday I am going to have kids, and I really want to be there for them. I also really enjoyed studying and doing work once I finally put effort into it. English Lit was a strong point for me... not the spelling or grammar, but being able to understand stories and all those epic poems... I was pretty good with sociology, psychology and some history...

So are you going to a university or a community college? I really want to live live the college life you know, on campus and stuff. That's what I feel too old for.

So how did you figure out what you wanted to study?

I know I should go to a career counselor, but over here they are lacking :) Though I think there might be one for our area... I will try and find out.

Thanks again for the encouragement and insight!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 27, 2006, 11:33 AM
    Right now I go to a community college for a 2 year degree. I thought it was best so that I could get into Phi Theta Kappa International Honors Society for 2 year colleges. They provide mega bucks in scholarships when you transfer to a university. I don't have the GI Bill, so I need the scholarships. I will transfer to get my Bachelor's Degree after I get my Associates.

You are not behind on the curve, actually the average age for first time college students is around 40 these days.

I never really wanted to live on campus as there seems to be too much drama and expense for me.

How did I know what I wanted to study? Well, I did medical malpractice research for around 10 years and the attorneys I worked for originally paid for my first semester of prerequisites. I also had my children's peditricians tell me that I should go into medicine because I would take them to the doctors and tell the doctor what was wrong and what meds needed to be perscribed, and I was usually right. I currently have 3 letters of recommendation from 3 different doctors and have been offered a job with two of those doctors upon my graduation.

You can do this, it is a blast!!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 28, 2006, 09:43 PM
    I think its great to leave the military and move to higher learning and a rewarding career. You can do this and I understand many colleges offer online learning with the same rewards as sitting in class. Then you can work for a living and study at home. Go for it!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 28, 2006, 09:50 PM
    Colleges ( most) have people who are glad to do nothing but help you and explain their systems to you.

If you are a little scared, start with a smaller JR colleg and go in person, I have done a lot of online or corresponsce schools because of my traveling and while they are good, I truly think you miss something not having fellow classmates and the interaction with teaches and others.

If you lack some classes or skills, many collegs also have classes to help you catch up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Excelsior College a real college? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, if someone can please help me and let me know if Excelsior College's distance learning program is legally accredited, I would appreciate it very much. I would like to get a BS degree in Computer Information System through distance learning. I found that Excelsior College is perfect for this,...

How to start online business without investment [ 4 Answers ]

Hi to all,I don't know about online business.. and I'm a poor guy and I have a computer with internet connection only.. so,now I want to do online business.. but I don't have any money to invest... so anybody will specify the good plans to start the online business... ...

College guy suddenly confusing college girl [ 4 Answers ]

So here's the deal: I entered college midyear. During my first week, I met this incredibly nice & cute guy. We hit it off. We spent hours just talking in his room. He drove me to the bookstore to get my books. We went out for fast food a couple times. Things got complicated when he decided to...

Scared [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Okay, well I'm 17 and I've never missed a period or varied on the days or anything like that. My family has a history of still having their period all throughout pregnancy, my mom, sister, aunt, grandmother, and 2 cousins all had bleeding for the first few months of pregnancy. I think I...

View more questions Search