Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2010, 05:26 AM
    Wiring for wall mount baseboard heater thermostat
    It appears the thermostat of our 240 volt baseboard heaters are wired with 12/2 cable only, no ground. Is this the norm? Safe? Or do I need to replace this with grounded wire? Grounded 12/2 is used everywhere else in the circuit. Thank in advance.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 8, 2010, 10:22 AM

If your heaters are for less than 20 Amps, then 12/2 is the correct AWG.

Neutral (white) is used as a hot leg. Practice dictates that the white conductor be marked to show that it is not being used as a Neutral. I usually would use red tape on both ends of the conductor and also on any visible parts of the cable so that it cannot be confused as a neutral leg.

Usually a 12/2 cable will have a bare ground wire in it. Just as it is possible that the manufacturer is providing the grounding means elsewhere in the circuit. Best suggestion I can make is to check the specs on the equipment.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2010, 10:52 AM
    So, the stats are wired with two wire cable?

Since the baseboard heaters are controlled by the stats, now the issue is where is the feed, and is there a ground in that cable. If the feeder goes to the heater first, and that is 3 wire, at least the heater is grounded.

I am not too worried about the stats having no ground, assuming the stats are all plastic.

However, if the stats have any exposed metal, the stats should be grounded.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2010, 11:27 AM

Thanks guys, I'm sure the 12 AWG is OK for the heaters, my concern was the ungrounded cable going to the stat. Since the stats are metal I'm going to change that to 12/2 with ground. Thanks again for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm installing a thermostat in the wall for a new baseboard heater. [ 0 Answers ]

I'm installing a new thermostat in the wall for a new baseboard heater. Old style heater had a knob on it for temp. I have two main wires joined and coming from the wall attached to the old baseboard. When I connect the new heater and the thermostat the heat stays on and thermostat will not...

Baseboard heater thermostat wiring [ 1 Answers ]

How do you test a 240 line voltage electric baseboard heater thermostat.

Wiring a baseboard heater and thermostat [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I'm replacing an old baseboard heater and thermostat. I've followed the thermostat instructions and wired it to the heater using the two black wires leaving the two red wires to connect to the wall. There are four wires, two black and two white plus the ground wire coming out of the wall. ...

Dimplex Baseboard Electric Heater Wall Thermostat. [ 2 Answers ]

Thermostat does not shut off heat when set at 0c

Wiring wall mounted thermostat-operating two baseboard heaters [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to heat my new garage with electric baseboard heaters. The new garage is 20X24 feet. I will be using one 240 V 2 wire circuit running two heaters at a total of 3800 watts. I would like to have both heaters controlled by one wall mounted double pole thermostat. How do I run the...

View more questions Search