Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joven Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2010, 03:27 AM
    The sum of the digits of a two-digit number is 9. the tens digit is 3 less than the
    Square of the units digit. Find the number.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 8, 2010, 08:59 AM
    You ned to set this problemn up as two equations in two unknowns. Let's call the tens digit 'A', and the units digit 'B'. You know that:

A + B = 9 (since the sum of the tens digit and units digit is 9)
    A = B^2-3 (since the tenbs digit is 3 less than the square of the units digit)

Yo can now rearrange the first equation to get A by utself, then substitute that equation for A into the second equation. At this point you'll have one equation for B, which will be a quadratic that you can factor to determine B. Then finally substitute that value for B back into the first equation to figure out what A is. Good luck, and post back with what you get for a final answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sum of smallest six digit no. And greatest five digit no. Is:WHAT? [ 1 Answers ]

Sum of smallest six digit no. and greatest five digit no. is:WHAT?

Prime numbers 400-digit number [ 26 Answers ]

I need to find 2 prime numbers that, if multiplied, would generate a 400-digit number. Any idea how to go about this. I have all the prime numbers but no matter what I do I do not get 400. Am I looking at this question wrong maybe? Thanks ::confused:

400 digit number [ 1 Answers ]

2 numbers if multipied would generate a 400 digit number?

9 digit zip code imports as 0, not 9 digits [ 8 Answers ]

I am using MS Word and MS Excel 2003. From MS Word, I have done a MAIL MERGE, and some of the zip codes are 5 digit, while others are 9 digit, as in 12345-6789. After doing the mail merge, and previewing the letters, the 9 digit zip codes get imported as 0. Certainly the MS Word software should...

View more questions Search