Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2010, 05:15 PM
    How can I make our elderly rabbit comfortable?
    Our rabbit is elderly, but up until this week, she was always very active and interested and energetic. Now suddenly, she has lost all interest in food, just wants to sit in one place and really looks her age.

We've brought her into the kitchen where we can keep her warm, and she has perked up a little, but still has no interest in eating. I suspect she has not much time left, but I'd like to make her as comfortable as possible.

Are there any little rabbit treats that she might eat?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 05:17 PM

You can try some carrots, some dandelions, but it sounds like she's at the end. I'm so sorry.

How old is she? Does she eat anything? What about her water intake.

Rabbits need to eat daily and often in order to survive. Do you give her timothy hay? It's very important for her diet.

Just let her know you're there, pet her, make sure she's warm and comfortable.

I'm so sorry that you're going through this.
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2010, 09:19 AM

We are giving her bits of everything, including lots of hay. She's drinking a little, but not very much. But she seems to be happy in the kitchen. Usually she wants out after half an hour.
    Pets Expert

Sep 8, 2010, 03:07 PM

Eileen, could it be that she's cold? If a rabbit is cold it will slow down with eating, drinking and activity.

Is she by a draft?
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2010, 05:12 PM

She normally lives outdoors, where she has a hutch which she usually ignores. Normally, if she's cold, she'll come to the back door, scratch to come in, take a wander round the kitchen, terrorise the guinea pig, investigate anything on the floor, then want out again.

Right now, she's in the kitchen, lying on a few layers of towels, and showing no interest in anything.
    Pets Expert

Sep 8, 2010, 05:23 PM

How old is she?
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2010, 08:02 AM

She died during the night.
    Pets Expert

Sep 9, 2010, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen G View Post
    She died during the night.
    Eileen, I'm so very sorry for your loss.

If you want to talk about it, I'm here, along with everyone else on the site. She had a great life with you, and that's what you have to remember.

This is the only bad part of having animals in our lives, they never live long enough.

Hugs to you and your family.
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2010, 04:23 PM

We're coping. We spent the day talking about her, and all the adventures she got into. The children are not sure if they want to get another rabbit, just because they don't think a new one could live up the standard set by Nibbles.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 9, 2010, 05:29 PM

Aww I'm sorry Eileen. It's never easy losing a family pet. Sounds like she lived in the lap of luxury.

Here is a thread dedicated to the loss of our furry loved ones.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm a firt time rabbit and is a rabbit OK in the weather where I live? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I've looked in book and the internet and I've nothing I would like to know if I could keep a rabbit outside in when its warm and then bring him in when its cold because I'm afraid the weather where I live is to cold for him:confused:

How to Make Elderly Parents Feel Needed ? [ 8 Answers ]

How to Make Elderly Parents Feel Needed? Any ideas .

Comfortable couch [ 2 Answers ]

How do you choose a comfortable couch? I purchased a big soft comfy couch in the store. After 1 month everyone in my house has a backache. This couch is very soft and has deep seats. I am changing it but am not sure if there is a formula for a comfortable couch that will remain comfortable long...

Boss tries to make me feel more comfortable around him? [ 9 Answers ]

I have worked for this company almost five years (USA). For four years my CEO never spoke or even looked at me. Last year when he fired my boss, he hired a consultant, and he started to talk highly about me and how smart I am. Every time I meet him and if just two of us, he always talks and...

Un comfortable [ 7 Answers ]

Good dya or night to all I have a BEST friend who's getting close to a ex-boyfriend of mine which makes so uncomfortable. I would like to know what other people think of the situation they say they are just friend and hanging out together so often. Told my friend that she must be on her guide...

View more questions Search