Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stop4red Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2010, 03:59 PM
    Plumbing problem in common area and unit owner responsibility
    I own a ground floor condo in a 3 level unit. It has been determined that the sewage pipe for all 3 units is damaged and needs to be repaired/replaced. The damaged section is under my living room floor. I have been told I need to vacate the property, move all my furniture to other sections of the condo, cover my kitchen cabinets, etc. I am not able to live there while they are doing the maintenance. I'll likely have to go to a hotel. Shouldn't they pay for this since it's damage in the common area. The management company already told me they wouldn't pay for anything.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 7, 2010, 04:27 PM
    Would you like another option besides having your floor torn up?

Let me explain a bit more about my drainage problem and how I repaired it. 54 year old house. The builder used sub standard cast iron in the drainage. The 4" house main was completely ate up on the bottom of the pipe , blocked with roots and welling up in my living room floor. I was sure that the main had broke in two and I would have to jack hammer up the floor and tunnel under the foundation to transition to PVC, pick up the back bath and move the main outside the house but I had to know what was going on under the slab so a friend suggested running a camera down there. There was no distinct break in the main, however,it was completely ate up on the bottom. That's when Rooter Man of Sarasota and Gulf Coast Florida suggested relining the main, (see image). It took a day to clear the roots and pressure jet clean the main. Next day they came back and relined the main with epoxy. I now have a sewer main that will out last me, (50 year guarantee) and the best part is that I didn't have to, tear up my house and the cost was under half of what I figured to take the main outside around the house. Another bonus was that it was done without tearing up or disturbing my house. When they were finished I kept a piece of the epoxy liner to check it out. It was white and had the same thickness of Schedule#40 PVC.
    I was amazed at the equipment RooterMan had outside my place. The equipment he had cost upwards of $100,000.00. Hi tech stuff that took a technician to run it. There were 3 men and 2 trucks to do the job. And it was completed in two days. Lottsa difference from the old days when I went out on a sewer call with a Ridged K-60 Sewer Machine and a ladder to get to the roof vent. I just wanted to point out that there's another option besides replacing drainage that the years have ruined. If your pipes are a candidate for a reline job I strongly suggest you look into it before you decide to replace the drainage pipes. I did and saved a bundle in addition to keeping my home intact. Just thought I would share that with you.
    Run that past the Condo Board. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Common area condominium plumbing [ 13 Answers ]

I own a condominium and pay monthly association. Last year there was a plumbing problem and according to the HOA it was in the plumbing between my unit and the unit below. The assoication did have a plumbing contractor come out - they cut a whole in my closet wall and air handler, leaving the walls...

Sharing Apartment: Should Common Area Price Be Split by # of people or rooms [ 21 Answers ]

I am sharing a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment with 3 other people. Therefore a total of four people will be living here. Two people will share the master bed room and the 2 remaining people will have their own rooms (smaller rooms). The apartment is 1600sq at a rate of $1795 a month. The master...

HOA responsibility in common kitchen line [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings. I have a ground floor condo with two units above me, having an identical kitchen layout directly bove mine. I recently had a back up of water under my sink when I ran my garbage disposal. I called a licensed plumber out. He told me there was a block in the common 2" line, which he...

Short Sale & Owner Responsibility [ 1 Answers ]

We cannot afford the mortgage payment on our home any longer. We have gone through he process with wells fargo on our FHA loan. We had to proceed with a shortsale and finally received an offer (obviously much less than we owe) Wells accepted the offer. Will they take that as payment in full or...

? About injury on common area? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in the state of ny. I broke by foot when I tripped over an edging of the road onto the grass of my front yard. 1.) was on association easment or common area 2) had previouse broken foot in the same area (propensity to break) Is it possible to sue association ins co. my ins. Co or...

View more questions Search