Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yahtzee77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2010, 11:20 AM
    Assisted living in a different state?
    My mom is a New York resident but we are considering moving her to assisted living in New Jersey. Would she need to pay taxes in both states? She has no income other than social security and a pension. We are going to be maintaining her apartment in New York for at least the first year.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 11:23 AM
    I suspect that she may have to file tax returns for both New York and New Jersey, but will owe no taxes due to her income level.

The amount of Social Security and the pension would help in my analysis.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 8, 2010, 06:19 AM

In the year she relocates to NJ she would be considered a part-year NY resident and a part-year NJ resident, and would pay taxes to each based on the income earned while a resident of the particular state. After the first year she would be a full-time resident oif NJ and pay taxes only to NJ. Her NY apartment becomes a second home for her (vacation home) - and is no longer her principal residence. Be sure to change over her address of record for her SS and pension, as NY may likely try to claim that she is still a resident of NY so they can collect taxes (especially if the apartment stays in her name), so do whatever you can to make it as clear as possible that her intent is to be a permanent NJ resident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If the landlord has bad health and has to go to an assisted living place can the land [ 2 Answers ]

If the landlord has bad health and has to sell to go assisted living, can the land lord get out of the lease to sell the house? WHat kind of agreement would be needed?

Are you paying too much for Assisted Living? / Georgia [ 1 Answers ]

Are you paying too much for assisted living? If you are how much are you paying per month? Would you look for another facility that is cheaper or would you just complain and leave your loved ones there. ICARE09

Debt Forgiveness for Senior in Assisted Living on Medicare [ 1 Answers ]

My 72 year old uncle is moving into an assisted living center. Medicare is paying for just about everything. But he still has some outside debt. He won't be able to pay that off, since all his money is goint to assisted living. What can we tell his creditors?

Assisted Living [ 4 Answers ]

How do I write a letter of introuction to or an Alzheimers Asiisted Livning?

Getting married, living in communal wealth state and non communcal wealth state [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. I am getting married in December. I will have been a California resident for 5 months of this year and New Jersey for 7 months. My partner has been in NJ the whole year. He has made significantly more money than me this year, and we are hoping to file a...

View more questions Search