Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trftyrone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2010, 09:08 AM
    Can an employee leave the employers property for unpaid lunch?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2010, 09:12 AM

An employee can do what they want on their lunch hour as long as they return in time.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 09:13 AM

Unless you are Prison trustee. Where you take your lunch is your own business as long as you can be back ready to work before the end of your lunch break. Not in route... not in the parking lot... but ready to start by the end of your break.
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Sep 12, 2010, 04:22 PM

Yes. By saying "unpaid" I'm assuming you're either (a) salaried or (b) an hourly employee who punches out for lunch. Once you are "off the clock" you can leave. The reason some companies limit lunchtime departures for hourly employees is that, as long as you're on the clock, there is a risk of liability if you get in a wreck or are injured while off site.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 12, 2010, 05:46 PM

There is always exceptions, more info would be helpful

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employers can hold the salary of employee under probition period [ 1 Answers ]

I joined a company in feb'10 and they are not providing any salary statement to employee and as well as they hold my 45 days salary. I have offer letter. In offer letter my probiton period is 6 months. Also they are refusing to release my salary. ...

Employee deductions unpaid [ 1 Answers ]

If an employee goes on unpaid leave for an extened period and their portion of the insurance premiums are unpaid, may an employer cancel them from the group plan? Otherwise the employer gets stuck paying these premiums 100% for the nonworking employee. Anyone have a practical real world solution to...

Can my landlord take me to court for unpaid rent if I leave the property? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been renting a fully furnished flat since 13.08.09 and due to leave 13.02.10. The first 3months were paid in full but I have withheld the last 2 months as the 4 main appliances in which came with the flat do not work. I withheld it thinking he would fix it as he said since I moved in he...

Can Employers legally devulge employee salary details to non-employees? Alabama [ 6 Answers ]

I work in Alabama and my employer shared the details of my salary to a customer. I felt that my privacy had been invaded and believed that the employer should have asked my consent before sharing such information. However, my employer insists that they did nothing wrong/illegal. Am I crazy or are...

Employers never paid employee taxes for 2007 [ 3 Answers ]

My former employers closed their business 12/31/2007. During 2007 my fellow employees and I received pay checks with stubs indicating proper taxes were deducted. It is now March 2008 and we (the employees) have still not received our W-2's. I have tried to contact my former employers by every...

View more questions Search