Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 03:43 AM
    Cheaper alternative to pavers
    Attached is a photo of one side of our backyard.
    This was taken in the middle of summer, we have now just finished winter and the grass was up to our knees due to constant rain.
    Spent an hour weed whacking today and am completely over it!

We want to get rid of the grass and put something low maintenance there.

Problem is we have a budget of well... I like the word 'free' but give us a month and we could stretch free out to maybe $200.

Really wanted to do pavers or concrete but that falls well over our budget (by several thousand lol)

Only thing I can think of is gravel/pebbles but am worried about it hurting the dogs feet.
    We will sill have a grass section about half that size behind camera for them though.

Anyone got any suggestions?
    Attached Images

smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 04:55 AM

Pea gravel if its available "down under" which is roundish, about the size of Peas... and really not hard for US to walk on barefoot.

Use a comercial grade landscaping cloth which will prevent the grase or weeds from growing through it and put several inches of gravel over that.

Don't know what that would cost in your area, but even if you have an Uncle with a dump truck it would top $200 US in gravel alone not even considering the cost of the landscaping fabric.. And that would be far cheaper than concrete or pavers.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 05:13 AM

Thanks Smoothy, I haven't heard of pea gravel (not that it means anything, I know nothing about landscaping) but it sounds like a good idea.

We actually have several rolls of the matting here already that we never got around to using under the garden beds so it's really only the price of the gravel (local landscape place delivers for free).

Going to call around some places tomorrow and will definitely ask about pea gravel, thanks.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2010, 12:45 AM
    Hi, shazamataz!

Anything that you put on or in the ground, you're going to need to be considering the drainage, and hence, effort and money.

One thing that you might also want to consider, if it's feasible for you, is to plant a fast growing shade tree or two, so that the grass doesn't grow as much.

You might even be able to start one or two of those for free!

Thanks!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 8, 2010, 01:55 AM
    Do you have a local Freecycle in your area.
    They are extremely useful for things like this..
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2010, 07:34 AM

Just in case the term Landscaping fabric isn't universal across the english speaking world as so many other terms are not. It's a syntheytic material... varying thicknesses according to quality that is porous to water, but the holes are too small for plants to grow through. So weed growth is inhibited until enough organic matter collects on the top side to support growth.. and even then roots typically won't grow through it making their removal easy. Under gravel I'd get the best quality you can find. THAT stays put a lot longer than mulch does and weighs far more.

Lanscapers use it under mulch and gravel trimwork... it makes maintaining it a lot less labor intensive once its down.
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2010, 09:33 AM

Ben, we do have freecycle here, but there's only ever 1 or 2 things in my state and they are usually useless junk unfortunately.

I actually like the idea of a tree or 2 up the back or 1 in the middle. We have one in the front yard and the grass just doesn't grow under it, thank Clough, I'll add that to my list.

Smoothy - the stuff we have here is like a black almost plastic feeling woven sheet, it stops the weeds growing through but you cut holes in it where you are going to put plants in garden beds, does that sound similar? We call it weed matting here if it is.
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2010, 11:23 AM

Yeah shaz... that sounds like the very same stuff.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Sep 12, 2010, 03:03 PM

You could dig out a couple inches and pour concrete in the holes resembling flagstone. You can do this as money permits. An 80lb bad of quikrete is less than $4 and you could get several "flagstones" from it.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2010, 07:07 AM

Uh Shazzy have you given any thought to the "presents" that your dogs leave in the yard? What are you going to do when someone decides not to clean up the presents and someone ends up stepping in the presents and tracking it into your home? Hmmmm. I can well understand that you are tired of mowing the yard but quite honestly I would much prefer grass in the yard as it does tend to make the area cooler in hot weather versus hot concrete or pavers. Grass is much cooler on the feet - yours and your puppies' feet.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2010, 12:57 PM

Thanks patty, I had to Google flagstones, not familiar with that term but they look really good! I like the irregular design, that's another option on the list.

Twinkie - Yes, grass would be better for the pups but they rarely if ever use that section for toiletting, it's usually on the other grass section.
    I'll attach another pic... That fence with the black stuff attached to it (thanks to our neighbors from hell) has a wide grass strip going all the way down the side of the house, that's where they usually go. Our house is set diagonally across the block so the yard is a weird shape.
    Attached Images

Sep 16, 2010, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Thanks patty, I had to google flagstones, not familiar with that term but they look really good! I like the irregular design, that's another option on the list.

Twinkie - Yes, grass would be better for the pups but they rarely if ever use that section for toiletting, it's usually on the other grass section.
    I'll attach another pic... That fence with the black stuff attached to it (thanks to our neighbors from hell) has a wide grass strip going all the way down the side of the house, that's where they usually go. Our house is set diagonally across the block so the yard is a weird shape.
    I have a schnoodle... she's white also... love her too death!

Sep 16, 2010, 02:48 PM

You could also check craigslist in the free section. People give away bricks and pavers etc.
    Click here and choose your state and city and then click on "free" under for sale:
    craigslist: san antonio classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2010, 03:24 AM

Ceramic bathroom tiles is the closest thing on Craigslist lol thanks though :)

That's Brody, he's my white shadow, follows me everywhere, he even likes to watch me shower which is a little disturbing.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2010, 05:02 AM
    I am not familiar with this Freecycle,but if you want to do something interesting... :D

Search for recycled wood,the thicker the better.Old floor joists/flooring from large buildings,barns,etc.If you are into a little landscaping... As Smoothy said,the landscape fabric below would stop most any weeds and growth from underneath the proposed 'deck'.

If the materials are free,or that little in cost, to make a raised deck area,just a few inches from the ground,and you would have a 'green' patio where you would not have to do any(much) maintaining, at least not weeding.

If you are interested,buy me a ticket 'down under' :p and I'll make it for you!. lol

Seriously though, if you want to make something like this,look at some home improvement sites where they use recycled materials for updating their back yards.For a little investment(like someone said about the bags of concrete for less than $8 ,you can really go a long way on a tight budget.. :)
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2010, 08:43 AM

Haha, if I could KBC I would! I'm dreading doing it, but excited at the same time.
    I'll look into second hand wood. There is a salvage yard here that gets bits off houses before they are demolished, not sure if they have boards or not but will have a look. Last time I went there (about 10 years ago) it was mostly doors, windows, shower screens, things like that.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2010, 09:06 AM
    Ya never knows till you search... You might find a jewel in that rubble!
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2010, 11:33 AM

If its close enough... look at it as a scavenging trip... or window shopping. (American term for just looking at a store)
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2010, 09:38 AM

It's in the middle of town, not far at all, will go and have a look on Monday :D Thanks for all the ideas!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to reseal pavers [ 0 Answers ]

I have a customer who had her driveway and patio sealed. She told me that it looked shiney in spots and dull in spots. What needs to be done to correct this situation.

Seal pavers [ 1 Answers ]

How to seal pavers pool pavers

Cracking Pavers [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a brick paver walkway and the prep is 10" of compacted 3/4" gravel compacted every 3" and then I take two 1-1/4" pipes for level and level the stone dust lay the pavers and then use the compactor over that and the pavers I bought from Lowe's are cracking as I vibrate them down. ...

Laying pavers [ 1 Answers ]

How do I figure how much sand I need to cover 72 square feet of space with 2 inches of sand?

View more questions Search